Houzz Logo Print
eatrealfood

How to fill small space near window

EATREALFOOD
12 years ago

Hi all.

I have a wall run of 120" x 2 sides of a 10x12 kitchen

The main wall w/appliances: approx 33"fridge/15"base/24"DW/36"sink base

Perpendicular to this wall is a wall with 2 windows on it. The windows are different heights, one of them is a fire escape.

This wall : window range window

The opposite wall facing fridge: 28" base/(steam pipe)wine fridge/24"base, next to this base is the fire escape window. I cannot put a cabinet there so I'm putting 10"D shelving. 2 towers will sit on top of the bases with open shelving between the towers.

My original counter extended a few inches across one of the windows. I am leaving approx.12" inches from the window wall to allow space for the deep windowsill and outside window frame molding.

What is a good solution to fill that space(14"D 12"W after the sink base ends? I plan on extending the counter to the wall, I installed an outlet for toaster/electric kettle, so whatever I put there must support the counter.

The cabinets have no toe kicks , they are on legs, which I like since toe kicks get grimy/wet if there's water accidents. AND since I just put down an (expensive IMO) Italian porcelain floor I want to see my tiles !!!

I am having difficulty tracking down the cabinet manufacturer so buying a piece is not an option. I bought 15" base, 24" base, 28" base, 36" sink base, 2 glass towers, 1 glass 1 solid upper. They are maple (glazed)fronts,3/4" birch ply, dovetail, all base have pull shelves and one has pull out counter. The construction and insides(pull out shelves and deep drawers(what a LUXURY)is what convinced me to buy them. I paid $1000 for them SO I can now get my LARGE Franke professional SS sink/soap dispenser/water filter and satin nickel pull out faucet :). My sink is my workhorse.

Is my only solution hiring a carpenter to make a simple open cabinet with one shelf ?

I have a photo on my computer that shows similar cabinets but I don't have an account for any photo posting svc., so I can't post :(

My kitchen layout is forcing me to be creative...I like that.

Hope layout clear...Tile installer, it is Grout day :( left 'bout 40min ago haven't had hardly any food in days just Pastisio last night :)

Thanks for any ideas...

Comments (6)