SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
divamum_gw

Further thoughts on backsplash/tile - comments and ideas?

divamum
16 years ago

Hi all -

Am getting more ideas about tiling and backsplashes now - once again, this forum is just an amazing resource, and special thanks to Bill Vincent for talking me down off my ceramic window ledge!

I finally got to see some tile "in real life" which helped a lot - took a while to find the local stores, but hands on made a big difference in my understanding of how it can all work. Anyway, saw some things which gave me ideas, and I'm now ready to move on a little further.

My current thought (definitely NOT a definite yet - just brainstorming at this point) was inspired by the Arts and Crafts repro tiles linked below, which I have just fallen in love with (I'd want to use Cumbria, Norwich and maybe Argyll and Nottingham)

Now, we couldn't afford a whole backsplash of them - and they'd be WAY too busy with the countertop - but what I was wondering is whether picking a neutral beige/mocha-ish background in basic tile (perhaps picking up the predominant background colour in my quartz counter - maybe adding a molded or rope edge at the top?) which would also pick up the same colours in some of the tiles, and then dropping maybe a dozen or so of these ornamentals as occasional accents (perhaps random placement?)might work.

What do you think?

Again, the cabinets are Mission Style, the house is 1928, and as the kitchen will indeed be open to a dining area, I'd thus like to "dress it up a little" rather than have it be strictly utilitatarian.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arts and Craft repro tile

Comments (2)