SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mushcreek

Backsplash thoughts?

mushcreek
7 years ago

OK- Deep breath- I'm getting ready to think about a backsplash for our kitchen. After all of the angst over paint colors, I approach this with fear and trepidation. The existing colors are Benjamin Moore White Dove cabinets and trim, and the walls are Barely Jade (can't remember the brand off-hand). It's a light gray; I don't see any 'jade' in it at all. The counters are a soap-stone look laminate- fairly black with veining. Our accent color is red, and we have a mixer cover, dutch oven, salt pig, and coffee mugs in red. Don't know if it matters, but the ceiling is pewter tin tiles.

Those of you who have seen my kitchen know that we have NO uppers. I'm planning to run the backsplash about 9-10" up the wall, except for up to the hood behind the range. With all of the windows, it's not a whole lot of tile.

We're trying to keep it simple and inexpensive. The plan is (maybe) beveled white subway tile, and some sort of trim. Lowe's has the tile in a warm white that is pretty close to our cabinet paint. They also sell a chair rail style molding in the same color, which is what we did in our master shower.

My initial thought is to go 3 courses (9") of beveled subway tile, *MAYBE* red pencil liner tile, then the chair rail (2"). I'm thinking about two or four accent tiles in the field behind the range- I found some that look like old shipping labels from veggies and fruits, or maybe chickens or other 'farm' stuff. To give you an idea, the tops of the outlet covers are 9" high.

In our last house, I did plain white subway tile with a black liner tile that went up and over the top of the range. I'm not afraid of the tile work; I'll do whatever it takes, and I've done complicated tile before. I'm fairly set on the white beveled subway tile; it's figuring out how to cap it so it looks nice. The house is sort-of Craftsman, and we have an eclectic mix of antiques. Below are some pictures to give you an idea. Thoughts?

Comments (31)