SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buehl

To the Legal Experts...RE: Photos & FKB

Buehl
15 years ago

As I'm sure most of the regulars, at least, are aware, someone recently stole one of our member's kitchen pictures to market his services (no, he did not have anything to do with her kitchen). This has spawned a backlash that may limit the usefulness of the FKB and possibly many of the threads (past & future). Putting passwords, even guest passwords, on albums will make it difficult for us to look at each others photos and browse the FKB.

So, my question to those of you with a legal background in this area of law (copyright law?), if we establish a Kitchen's Forum guest password for all of us to use and put it in the "Read Me" thread, will our photos then fall under the PhotoBucket exclusion?

"..except Content marked "private" will not be distributed outside the Photobucket Services"

We could all make our albums "private" and yet keep them open to Kitchens Forum members.

That may not eliminate theft of pictures, but it may offer legal recourse to anyone so victimized. To be honest, I'm not sure if any of our pictures once posted here are safe since even iVillage/GardenWeb has a similar statement. Would the guest password policy in any way protect us from their (mis-) use of our photos w/o our consent? (I suspect not...)

I know we have quite a few lawyers as members, so, what are your thoughts?

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Excerpt from PhotoBucket's Terms of Service":
6.1 "Photobucket does not claim any ownership rights in the text, files, images, photos, video, sounds, musical works, works of authorship, applications, or any other materials (collectively, "Content") that you post on or through the Photobucket Services. By displaying or publishing ("posting") any Content on or through the Photobucket Services, you hereby grant to Photobucket and other users a non-exclusive, fully paid and royalty-free, worldwide, limited license to use, modify, delete from, add to, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce and translate such Content, including without limitation distributing part or all of the Site in any media formats through any media channels, except Content marked "private" will not be distributed outside the Photobucket Services. Photobucket and/or other Users may copy, print or display publicly available Content outside of the Photobucket Services, including without limitation, via the Site or third party websites or applications (for example, services allowing Users to order prints of Content or t-shirts and similar items containing Content)."

Excerpt from iVillage's Terms of Service":
"Photobucket does not claim any ownership rights in the text, files, images, photos, video, sounds, musical works, works of authorship, applications, or any other materials (collectively, "Content") that you post on or through the Photobucket Services. By displaying or publishing ("posting") any Content on or through the Photobucket Services, you hereby grant to Photobucket and other users a non-exclusive, fully paid and royalty-free, worldwide, limited license to use, modify, delete from, add to, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce and translate such Content, including without limitation distributing part or all of the Site in any media formats through any media channels, except Content marked "private" will not be distributed outside the Photobucket Services. Photobucket and/or other Users may copy, print or display publicly available Content outside of the Photobucket Services, including without limitation, via the Site or third party websites or applications (for example, services allowing Users to order prints of Content or t-shirts and similar items containing Content)."

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: My kitchen photo stolen and used in Ad

Comments (7)