SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

Week 28: I've run out of steam & (probably) need help...

CEFreeman
9 years ago

It's not that I don't want to do the projects, or to have them finished, it's just that I either hit a roadblock, ran out of money, changed my mind (not ME!?!), can't lift something, or decided I liked something else better. For me, it's usually the roadblock.

There was a thread here a while ago that has really stuck with me. Called "Broken Teeth." Essentially, it was about those stupid little projects you just don't get to, but when you finally do, they're just nothing! So simple. Take so little time. But the end result is an incredible difference in whatever.

Like fixing a front porch light. Or tacking up the molding that's come loose (5 years ago), touching up nail holes, or just little things like that.

So. When the weather got warm, I moved my project focus outside. Everything from January, was left exactly where I dropped it. It stared at me. It mocked me. It stubbed my toes and caught my clothes. I'd run out of steam for everything inside. Telling myself I'd get to it again when the weather cooled.

This week, I can feel the ol' pot begin to simmer. I moved the kitchen cabinets that are just sitting on the counter, waiting to be hung. I organized my layout and was ready to hang them. SLAM! A stumbling block. A broken tooth. I need to take down one of the two cabinets already hung, shorten its cleat, rehang it over a teensy bit to the left. A TEENSY! I need 3/4" for all the center cabinets. Three. Quarters. Of. An. Inch. Just like the MBR's 1/4" -- but that's another rant.

I need help, because standing on my counters, head pressed against the ceiling to hang cabinets is one thing. Lifting something off a cleat and having room to set it down, not on my feet? If I even try that I'll lose my balance and fall over backward, on crap, and with the huge cabinet on top of me. No... My real steam evaporator is this:

Ready? Oh, so dumb.
I despise asking for help. My neighbor and the fellows working my barn would happily give me 30 seconds it takes to lift that sucker down. So I'm trying to get my head around the asking part, move stuff out of the way (really, picture a construction materials hoarder) and just deep breath myself and ask. Then, I can fix the broken teeth and move forward.

What's your roadblock?
How do you get past it?
DO you get past it?
What do you DO that gets you back on track?
(Boy to do write novels!)

Comments (46)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County