SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kcinpa_gw

I've purchased a landscaping mess in the woods, help!

kcinpa
15 years ago

I am so happy to have found this forum! I've been reading through posts here and it sounds like there's a number of people that know a thing or two about gardens. This is a long post. Sorry! I have lots going on and haven't figured out how to tackle any of it yet.

I bought a house last year that is 29 years old. I am pretty sure all of the landscaping is 29 years old also, and the person that planted them really lacked in imagination.

The house is at the bottom of the road, in a small valley. The house is built into the hill, so the front looks like a ranch, yet below it is a walk out basement level.

Behind our house at the back of our property there is a small yet steep cliff, and a steam is at the bottom of the embankment. I will get to the runoff issues from living at the bottom of a hill later. I love the stream, but it is difficult to access.

Here's a quick inventory of the plants we have: there are 30 Azaleas down the side of the long driveway and around the front of the house, and a dozen or so hosta jammed into the only sunny patch in front of the house. Under the Azaleas along the driveway there is pachysandra. At the top of the driveway there is the biggest Rhody I've ever seen. However, there are also three mostly dead pine trees up there that offer no privacy screen anymore as the lower half are just dead branches. They are being choked out by all of our really large trees in the yard.

There are 3-4 overgrown evergreen shrubs in front of the house. There is also a boxwood that has gone crazy and comes up to the top of our SECOND FLOOR deck. (no photo of that, sorry)

The previous owners only mowed what little grass there was. That's it. Everything is overgrown. All of the azaleas have deadwood in them, nothing has been pruned in at least 4 years. It's a mess. The soil is acidic. Grass is difficult to grow in the wet shade we have here.

We have a sluiceway to the left and right of the yard so the runoff from the neighbors and down the street itself runs down the sides and into the stream. But we still have runoff spots in the yard anytime it rains. It is so shady here too that our backyard can be squishy for DAYS after a rain.

At this point, the only thing I'm really comfortable with doing is planting things in the woods to try and lock in the soil/help with the erosion. I've ordered some ferns, and lilly of the valley to plant down by the stream. I know they can be invasive. I need them to be invasive in the hopes that they will keep the soil in place down there. Otherwise we will be losing trees eventually. I also bought wintercreeper to try as a groundcover in some of the north facing patches in the back yard where grass doesn't grow.

I've attached a link to a bunch of photos with descriptions.

I would really like some suggestions as to what I can do with regard to the over abundance of Azaleas in front of my house. I would like to design something else around the front deck, remove the evergreen shrubs, and maybe find something to put inbtwn the azaleas.

In a desperate attempt to get some summer color, I started shoving plants in the ground near the front of the house last year. There is no plan for them- I just wanted color and am perfectly fine with moving them elsewhere.

I don't mind the azaleas along the driveway, but I'd like to find another shade plant that can grow behind them in the woods to give us some privacy from the neighbor after the azaleas bloom.

I need to plot all of this out, but at this point I'm up to my ears in cleaning out deadwood from the 30 azaleas and haven't had time to do it yet.

Also, my hubby wants to know what we can plant instead of grass along the driveway because mowing the slope is difficult.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: House photos

Comments (13)