SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigpumpkin

I've decided I need/want a greenhouse now what?

bigpumpkin
17 years ago

I've been contemplating this for years but the last two nights have convinced me to take the plunge. I need some help deciding where to begin. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I did look through the list of books on the FAQ page and will be getting several of those.

First a little about myself and why I want a greenhouse. My primary gardening interest is growing giant pumpkins. Personal best to date is 847 pounds. I was on track to beat that untill the last two nights. I had two pumpkins that were over 750 pounds and should have easily been over 900 but, pumpkins don't survive 26 degrees and now my season is over. These plants can be huge (current plants are 40x40) I can grow in a smaller area but will need to be able to optimize my growing conditions. Besides the cold snaps which we get every month of the year, the other limiting factor of growing giant pumpkins is cool nights. Pumpkins prefer 65 degree nighttime lows. I'm in the high desert valleys of Idaho and my July and August lows average in the high 40's. I would like to be able to utilize a green house to elevate these temps.

List of Requirements for the greenhouse. Perhaps not requirements but at least preferences

-must be able to garden in soil underneath it. No pots, benchs ect

-Minimum width is 28'

-not required for winter - it could be fun for pumpkins would run April- September

-Will require heat because of these cold snaps and cold nights

-must be free standing

-seen versions on the internet with roll up sides. This could work great for ventilation but needs to be automated because I have a real job and am not able to be home to manually raise and lower it when it begins to heat up.

-plastic vs hard stuff?

-open to suggestins as far as type of construction, DIY verses contractor.

-Are fans enough to keep it cool on summer days. Not really interested in shading it as light seems to be another requirement for growing large pumpkins as almost all giant pumpkins >1000# come from the northern part of the us or southern canada where light is greater.

I know its a long list but any help steering me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: My pumpkin page

Comments (9)