SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_kitchen_gw

Help!!! Cabinet Hardware with White Cabinets

Melissa-Kitchen
11 years ago

To be honest, I am getting a little overwhelmed planning my kitchen renos. We are painting the oak cabinets white (professional painter spray coating them), installing new granite (maybe Santa Cecilia or tan brown) and new backsplash (no clue what color since I have to decide on the granite first). Anyways, my present dilemma is the cabinet hardware. We have exposed hinges and I can't decide what color hardware to use. It's not the most difficult decision in the world but our house was built in 1991 and most of the other hardware in the house is polished brass, which I don't like. Our kitchen is open to the family room and the family room has polished brass on the fireplace. Would it look silly to have nickel in the kitchen and brass in the family room? All the door knobs in the house are brass too, so if I choose nickel will the designer police arrest me for clashing? Unfortunately, my hardware choice in the kitchen has a steamroll affect throughout the house for when I change my large chandelier/pendant in the foyer too. In the hallway outside the kitchen we also have a large mirrored sliding doors and they have polished brass trim too.

Am I reading too much into this? Should I go with bronze so it doesn't clash with the polished brass that is prealent in the house or should I go with the brushed nickel since I am not a fan of our exposed hinges and nickel won't stand out as much? Near the kitchen there really only is the fireplace accent and the mirror closet doors but if I choose pendant lighting, you'd be able to see that from the foyer.

Thank you for any advice and listening to my ramblings. Yes, this kept me up last night until 2:00 trying to decide. Help!!! :)

I've attached a picture of the family room to show the fireplace. This is not our furniture since it was from the real estate listing (we have blue leather if that matters.) I'll also be changing out the ugly brass track lighting when we change the lighting in our kitchen.

Comments (14)