SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

It's Friday #2-digital equipment/bread tutorials

User
13 years ago

I have good news and bad news. I made both of the breads that appeared on the last thread. The good news is that I took a LOT of photos and downloaded them to Photobucket and they are there and labeled. The bad news is that Photobucket has changed their site and I can't figure out how to make the 2 slideshows that I want. So for now I will link the album and you can see the results at your pleasure and I think the benefit of seeing all the details will really help answer some questions.

I featured the digital thermometer and the digital scale that I use . I didn't used to use these but have found that in the past 2 years they really do help get a better product on the table. It is easier to chk the temps of baked breads with the thermometer and the weighing of dough to get even sized loaves helps to assure even baking.

The whole wheat sunflower bread had problems. It has been 25 yrs since I made it and things have changed I guess 'cause it sure wouldn't work the way I wrote it out here. I took away one cup of w.w. flour and I added 1 Tbsp of inst. dry yeast. I also added 1/2 c. more water to the recipe. This is not a light airy bread but with those changes it did double on the 1st rise in 1 1/2 hrs and the second rise , while not double, was enough in the 45 min. to give a tender and moist crumb to the slices. It was wonderful with thin slices of aged cheddar. Rhome uses vital gluten ( http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/vital-wheat-gluten-16-oz) and I have some and didn't use it in this recipe. If I were baking it again I would do so. I have linked to King Arthur Flour but you can get it at your supermarket. It will definitely add height and lightness to the whole grain breads.

Here are 3 pics of the bakes yesterday. And the link to the album tutorial. As I said all pics are labeled. I am sorry about the w.w. bread recipe and I promise to never ever post another recipe that I haven't made. I hope lots of folks will post pics and discussions of their experiences with digital equipment in the kitchen and their baking. Oh btw all the breads were kneaded on my butcher block island and you will see my bench knife that I use to assist with moving and dividing the dough. c

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Bread Tutorial

Comments (39)