SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deedles_gw

Cork flooring tiles aren't square or uniformly sized. Hahaheehee

deedles
10 years ago

First world problem, I know. Praying for the people in the Philippines.

So the guy installing our cork floor says, "Uh, I'm having an issue with your flooring. The tiles aren't square."

Huh?

The cork tiles are not uniform. If you lay any two random tiles perfectly lined up along one side it's obvious that one tile is wider just slightly from the other. That wouldn't be so bad but also it's like the tiles are not perfectly square so the seam will be tight for part of the tile and then it will open up a bit as you look down the tile. And the color in the tiles are not uniform either, some look darker than others. Ugh.

We're one and a half boxes in and so far the full second box is showing the same defect. I can only guess that all the boxes will be like this.

It's not the installer at all, it's the tiles. We went through a whole bunch of tiles and confirmed for ourselves that it is the tiles. It doesn't matter how you turn them, it just moves the error to the other side.

Here you can see how the seam 'opens up' at the corner and then disappears as you look down the tile.
{{gwi:1971221}}

Here you can see the disparity in length.
{{gwi:1971222}}

color variation:
{{gwi:1971223}}

{{gwi:1971224}}

So, these tiles were from Jelinik out of Canada. They were a discontinued line on clearance and we bought all they had. No where was it mentioned that there was a problem with the tiles, just that they were discontinuing the color and the woman on the phone never indicated that there was anything wrong with the tiles. Possibly they didn't know?

We don't mind that the lengths are off.. when the seams are tight you can't even tell that... it's the small gaps that concern me.

The installer suggests that when he's done we sand some of the left-over tiles down to a dust and sweep it over the floor to fill the teeny gaps: then do what he called a 'scuff sanding' and apply a coat of poly. He felt this should make the gaps disappear but said, "you shouldn't have to do this, I've never ever seen this before in any tile flooring that I've installed".

(an aside, he's kind of a handy man, not an installer for a company. I work with him and he does this stuff on the side. He's doing our trim work and is doing a beautiful job. But, he doesn't do flooring sanding/refinishing... I already asked. Boo)

He also thinks the color differences will even out with time and light exposure.

Has anyone had such an issue and does the remedy he suggests sound like a workable one? (Hope so as we gave him the go-ahead to lay the floor anyway)

Also any thoughts on the color harmonizing over time?

Is it reasonable for me to contact Jelinik and request some kind of $$ back on this? We were going to order another of their product for our entry floor... maybe I could request some credit towards that?

How is it even possible for machine cut tiles to be not square?

Why is this song lyric running through my head?

"And They're coming to take me away Ha Ha
They're coming to take me away ho ho he he ha ha
to the funny farm where life is beautiful all the time, and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats
and they're coming to take me away ha ha"

Read more: Lard - They're Coming To Take Me Away Lyrics : MetroLyrics

Comments (17)