SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladyamity

Budget Backsplash -- Where can I skimp/still have it look decent?

ladyamity
13 years ago

We ended up using most of the remainder of the granite countertop tiles as a backsplash behind the stove and then installed stainless steel shelves on that backsplash to hold our overflow of Roasters and Dutch Ovens.

I'm thinking that I might be able to cut back (finances) by adding backsplash (has been picked out for months, just not purchased yet) only to the area above the coffee counter (first counter as you walk into the kitchen, to the left as you're looking at the stove).

Since the other side of the stove starts the large pass-through with counter that extends into the dining room to be used as buffet, there wouldn't need to be backsplash in that area, correct?

My thinking is....where would I start and stop the tile backsplash with the large pass-through taking up most of that area.

Then on the sink side, I don't think I can get away with not tiling the whole back wall from dishwasher to fridge.

The tile would be from countertop, butting up to the wall cabs.

We raised our dishwasher in a DIY cabinet and that leaves very little space between that last wall cabinet and the start/top of the dishwasher cabinet.

It's become the perfect place for all my chopping boards so I don't mind that part.

What I'm wondering about, do I tile the iddy biddy wall space between the top of dishwasher cab and wall cab and do I go around the corner with the backsplash towards the back door? There is that very narrow strip of wall on the right side of the back door, just past the dishwasher cabinet. Do I tile that wall....down to the floor? Where would I stop the tile?

If I can get away with not having to tile that small area against the back door, that would be great for the budget that is already past stretched. :)

But, if tiling only the wall over the coffee cab and the whole back area of the sink wall is going to look funny/odd/I forgot something/just got bored and didn't want to tile any more, then I would rather just have the painted backsplash for now.

What do you all think? I really value your opinions.

P.S. Please excuse the unfinishedness (is that even a word? lol) of the kitchen. We still have lots of touch-ups, caulking, drilling and sanding to do. Then I'll do a really good cleaning/final sealing of the floors and counters.

Comments (22)