SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenerdev

Do I need a backsplash if I have a 12" backguard for my stove?

GardenerDev
10 years ago

I am doing a kitchen remodel, and am trying to figure out how to protect the wall behind the stove. Being new to kitchen remodels, I didn't realized that a backsplash serves a protective function from the stove heat, so I was planning on just skipping the backsplash to avoid the added expense and because I don't like the look where it stops.

I bought a DCS RGT-366 on Craig's List, and was reading the installation manual yesterday, and it said that a backguard is mandatory, I don't want a full height one, but think the 12" might be okay. What I'm wondering is, if I get that 12" backguard, do I still need Hardiebacker behind the stove and/or a tile backsplash, or will the backguard provide all the protection I need for the wall? Regarding water damage, my sink will be on a peninsula, so water hitting the wall is possible, but is a bit less of a concern than in some kitchens. Is there anything else I should be keeping in mind as I make the decision for backsplash vs no backsplash?

Also, if I do need more than just the backguard, is there a paint grade cement board and a heatproof paint that I could use, or do I have to do tile, glass or solid stone? If it has to be stone, is it okay to use a solid piece of silestone? Or if I use glass, are there specific specs I need - is tempered enough, or does it need to be laminated, or is there some other requirement?

Thanks!

Comments (4)