SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
new_morning

Protruding Hood over deep 30" countertop - looks weird?

new_morning
10 years ago

Hi all!

I'm just twiddling my thumbs, waiting for the builders to start demo... and trying to picture what will unfold these next few weeks....

Anyway, I have been searching for pictures, but can't find many (a couple are on really old threads and pics have since been removed).. thought maybe I'd tap into good ole GW and see if anyone has any ideas. Here's my situation:

-36" BS rangetop set on a 30" deep counter. So there will be 4-6" of counter behind the rangetop.

-42" MA Hood insert will be 27" deep, but since the countertops were extended to 30" deep, there will have to be a bumpout from the wall on the custom cabinetry. (read about steel liners here, but I don't think that will look good on a wood surround.) Ideally, I'd want the hood to come out 3" in FRONT of the rangetop to maximize capture area... but yikes, now that means the hood will protrude ~33" from the wall. Since it's a custom hood, I suppose that's doable, but is that absurd?

-Another caveat: Two 2' windows flanking range/hood, so NO upper cabs touching the hood. I'm super excited about the windows, but also now worried that the stand-alone, extra deep hood will look weird or klunky. In addition to the extra few inches in the back of the countertop, all windows will have a 7" bumpout. So again, love the spaciousness, but now will that hood disproportionately protrude out? This WILL be visible from my front door entrance!

Uppers to the right and left of the windows will be 15" deep.

Anyone have any advice? Or pictures to share? I know the cabinetry makers will want specifics, and I don't know what will work aesthetically.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!