SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitchendreaming_gw

30' deep counters

kitchendreaming
13 years ago

hi,

I will have a galley kitchen, 9.5 ft X 12.5 ft.

I like the idea of 30" deep countertops, as I have both little countertop and storage. I would put them on both side of the galley kitchen, the distance between countertops becoming 4.5 ft.

I read what has been posted before about the subject, and there is not a single negative comment. Everybody that has them, loves them. I might add that I am only 5 ft 5" tall.

how difficult will it be to reach the back of the countertop?

I have been practicing at home and it seems quite difficult, and I will have to move some electrical outlets that are behind the countertop to the side.

I want to know if I understand correctly what needs to be done. The countertop with the overhang comes up to 30", the actual drawers in the base increase only by 4.5", and the uppers come out also so that they are the same to reach as before.

My options are:

1) to go custom made. Is it worth it to gain 4.5" drawer space? How much will this add in cost to the project? Could I go custom for the base and match the tops with Martha Stewart cabinets with glass doors?

2) to push the bases out 4.5".

Are there any other options? I checked and neither IKEA nor HD has anything but 24" bases.

Thank you as usual!

Comments (33)