SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kateskouros

can we try this again? (layout help)

kateskouros
15 years ago

hi! i drew a new layout with dimensions. the more i look at it the more i prefer the two islands.

currently islands are 3'.5" x 8'.

appliances: 48" capital range

turbo chef oven (single). i hate the look of it so i want to hide it in the island or under counter somewhere it won't be easily seen.

sharp under counter microwave (if i do the fridge/freezer on the wall bottom of layout the micro will be housed in an upper cabinet between refrigeration units)

miele excella dw

miele optima dw

thermador freedom tower 30" fridge

thermador freedom tower 30" freezer

(i took out the warming drawer since the capital has an 18" oven in it. perfect for warming.)

baking center: will be built to resemble an armoire. doors will recess inside and will have interior lighting and a marble slab. the KA mixer, food processor and all things baking will "live" inside the unit. flour, sugar and all other ingredients and measuring cups & spoons, etc... will be stored in the lower drawers or inside the cab on a shelf. baking pans will also be stored on divided shelves at the top of the cabinet.

remodelfla: i prefer to have the baking center housed in it's own cabinet, as explained above. i want to be able to just pull the very heavy mixer et al out and not have to lift. even though it's a "long haul" to the ovens, it's not like baking is a daily event. i can do my mixing and prep inside the cabinet and then just turn right around and arrange everything on baking pans on the first island. no big deal to take the pans to the ovens from there, i feel. also, i want to keep the range wall free of any upper cabs since i have two widows there, one to each side of the range. i could certainly put the under counter microwave over by the range ...but if i do in fact keep my fridge and freezer on the bottom wall (moved from sink wall) then i'd house it in a cabinet there. agree, the garbage would be best in the island closest to the range.

i thought it would be nicer to sit at that island since it faces the side windows, no? i will have a desk area, but it will be in the breakfast nook to the right of the kitchen. (see house floor plan). i also have a drawing of that... if the bottom hutch section did not house the fridge/freezer i was going to use it for storage of my better china/crystal.

bmorepanic: yes, trying to hide the turbo chef. love the way it works. absolutely LOATHE the way it looks. the baking center will not house an oven. as mentioned above, i have all that i need and don't think it's a big deal to walk the trays over to the other side. ...i wouldn't mind switching the "big stuff" at all! if you have any thoughts PLEASE share! i'm not open to adding refrigerator drawers or any other appliances. we're building new and the appliance budget has already busted. if i really thought i needed more, i'd put them in though. (at this point i really don't feel more is necessary). i'd need at least four seats in the island. and i posted a floor plan for you, hope it helps!

i bake depending on what's going on: christmas, easter, birthdays, other holidays... but i bake "big". so when i do it, it's usually large batches. i like to do it alone, moving about the kitchen at my leisure ...with music on!

i don't have to close my eyes to see what goes on in my kitchen: big crowds standing around... we entertain. a LOT for business as well as pleasure. that's why i thought it would be great to have the option for seating in both islands, even though it won't be for everyday.

amylovesbud: bud's a lucky guy! i love symmetry. pulling the freezer next to the fridge (if on the sink wall) would make ME nuts! ...and we don't eat sundaes so the sundae thing doesn't bother me! as mentioned above, the baking center is an occasional piece, so having an oven there would be wasteful. plus, not really enough room for that.

rmkitchen: toaster/coffee maker are in the hutch area (behind doors) between the fridge and freezer. the beverage center has been moved to the wet bar ...which has been moved to the great room at the suggestion of my cabinet maker. he'll be either (a) building an armoire to outfit as a wet bar with the sink and fridge inside or (b) i'll find an existing armoire that can be modified to use for this purpose. i love the idea of taking it out of the kitchen and in to the room where we would entertain most. the kids can get there drinks from the fridge. it's big enough. ...and thanks for the KD referral. i have been told to toughen up and deal with it. i'm going to pick your brains and try to save some $$$. if it comes down to the wire i'll call for help. but honestly, i think i can do it with the help of everyone here. as long as no one minds, of course!

farmhousebound: yes! i saw momto4kids' kitchen and think it works very well, and has many similarities. i think the only major difference is the location of her bake center, right next to her range. i REALLY want that armoire for the baking center... so no room there.

kitchendetective: it's a one cook household. 42" is good for me; i've looked at the NKBA guidelines but everyone takes liberties once in a while. and i CANNOT put in a third sink! the faucets are extremely expensive (rohl polished nickel goose neck ...the big guys!).

what else? oh... i thought i could use the space next to the counter to ceiling cab on the sink wall for open shelving to flush up against the window on the range wall. i like to collect mercury glass. this would be a great place for it.

BUT i'm kind of at a loss on how to handle the other side of the sink run. (left side). the wall showing the baking center will have add'l cabs for storage and stuff. could i use one of those cabs that fold in? kwim? waste of space? yes, but i can afford it. there will be another pantry in the mud room for food stuffs and paper goods as well as a broom closet. the islands can also accommodate food.

i hate to tell you guys, but i like it this way... the single island isn't exciting me at all. does anyone really have a kitchen everyone likes? it's like being the president. you can't please all of the people all of the time. but if i'm making any really major fauz pas i'd really like to know about it! ARE YOU SICK OF ME YET? ...and to think we've only just begun, and already i feel as though i'm asking wayyyyyyyy too much of you. i appreciate your help, no matter how resistant i seem!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (23)