SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue_ct

Delta Leland or Kohler Vinnata

sue_ct
16 years ago

Did anyone consider both of these and decide on one over the other? There is a big price difference, about 150.00 from what I have seen so far. Is the Kohler worth 150.00 more than the Delta? They both have lifetime warantees. Has anyone had a chance to try both or compare one to another in person? Believe it or not, we don't have anyone close that carries them both. Actually, most places have both as special orders, including Home Depot.

Sue

Comments (47)

• socalthreems
    16 years ago

Hi. I can't fully comment on your post, as I never considered the Delta. I did, however, order the Kohler Vinnata and hope it's all it is cracked up to be. I REALLY wanted the Perrin & Rowe 4746, but it was out of my price range. :( So the Kohler seemed like a "deal" in comparison! I like the looks of it, wanted as few holes in my granite as possible and it was highly recommended on this forum, which is always a huge plus. I'm going for a kind of cottage look, so it fit the bill. Hopefully others can give you a more concise answer with information about the Delta too.

• Buehl
    16 years ago

I checked them both out at The Great Indoors and I chose the Kohler Vinnata b/c I liked the look of the Vinnata better than the Leland and b/c I wanted as few holes as possible in my counter. I'm going for a traditional look and both would work for that look.

One thing I do not like about the Vinnata is that it has a rubber switch for the spray....I seem to recall at least one person saying they wore it out and had to get another from Kohler. However, I let looks win out this time.

I did not get the matching faucet for my prep sink b/c it's too high (my prep sink is partially under wall cabinets and in the corner of a peninsula). Instead, I got the Fairfax pullout. It will still work for filling pasta pots, etc.

• Related Discussions

Delta or Kohler faucet? difference?

Q

Comments (14)
    I am only addressing the Delta Leland price issue. I bought one almost 2 years ago after liking the look of it at HD. Since I could not afford to spend nearly $300 for it, I found many listed new on eBay . I paid about $125, but there was a seller who listed them new for $99 starting bid and many went for that price. I had a deadline on my Silestone countertop installation and needed one during a time when I could not wait for that particular seller to list, thus I paid more. I don't know if those prices are still the norm on eBay, but brand new, sealed with the plastic strip faucets could be bought half price or less when I needed a faucet. I love everything about my eBay purchased Delta Leland. I purchased it in June '07. Be sure to be familiar with the seller's feedback, number of items they've sold, and that he/she has been an eBay seller for a significant amount of time. Hope this helps!
    ...See More

faucet suggestions - Kohler Vinnata too large in person

Q

Comments (9)
    Ha. I had the same reaction to my new faucet. I'll link my thread about it below. It of course looks perfectly fine now, on the new sink in its new location; it was mostly the comparison with my old faucet that made it look huge. But the shafts of many of the new faucets really are bigger than the old ones. My dad nailed it -- he figured it was the pullout function that drives that, because the shaft has to be big enough to accommodate the hose. If you really want a more slender faucet, find one with a side sprayer. But I love the function of my pulldown and I wouldn't want to give that up, now that I've been using it for a few months. I already deleted the photos from my old thread. Here's what mine looks like: Here is a link that might be useful: New faucet looks ridiculous -- or not?
    ...See More

Faucets for Kohler Stages 45"?

Q

Comments (4)
    I'm not sure you need a filtered tap just for washing vegees. As you can see I have a hot water dispenser on mine that also dispenses non-heated water. I've plumbed RO water to this. I used to use it for drinks but I have a separate faucet for that in the wetbar. I mostly use the hot water to help clean things now or to warm ice cream scoops. The Grohe Ladylux plus is a great faucet and the reach is fine for this BIG sink. While pricey, the hose and return mechanism on this unit is the best I've seen on a faucet, hence I bought one for this house as soon as we moved in, and its one of the few things that stayed during the remodel. I do have a Karbon in my prep sink, but I think I agree I wouldn't want it in the sink I wash dishes in. Its style is fairly contemporary. My kitchen is enough of a hybrid to pull it off though.
    ...See More

Kohler Bellara Pull Down Faucet or Delata Leland Pull Down Faucet

Q

Comments (3)
    i have the delta trinsic with no problems at all. i love the faucet but what really sold me on delta is the customer service. i have a 15 year old house with builder grade delta shower faucet hardware. i called delta because one shower handle was cloudy and they sent me a new one immediately. i also called to get a new spout with the same wonderful cs and part sent for free. i am a delta fan!
    ...See More
  • vjrnts
    16 years ago

I have the Leland. The Kohler was never in the running due to price.

I like the Leland a lot. The head locks into the tube to keep it from dangling, and switching from spray to stream and back again is simply a twist of the collar at the bottom of the spray head. It does what I require it to do, and that's all I ask.

• randi66
    16 years ago

I looked at both too( not in person, online) and ended up bidding on the Leland from ebay. I got it for 150.00 total with shipping, but I've seen them go for as little as 100.00. Its not installed yet, but I have high hopes. I just didnt want to spend 300+ on a faucet. I also wanted a pull-down spray w/ soap dispenser. Thats why I chose the Leland.

• nepool
    16 years ago

I also like the Kohler Vinnata but am in STICKER shock on the price for the brazen bronze. Also, how does it work? The handle doesn't seem intuitive... how do you get warm water? How do you turn it on or off? The delta seems "easier" to use, however, has the extra hole.

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

I looked at both, but chose the Vinnata because it would give me (1) less holes in my Silestone; (2) the Old World-with-a-pull-down look I need for this reno; (3) my DH thought that the Vinnata would be easier to replace parts on and he likesd that it has a washerless ceramic valving, which our plumber highly recommended. I think they're both great faucets, though.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

I love my Vinnata too! And I cracked up at nepool's comment because it was tricky to figure out the first time you use it. It's now become a conversation piece when people come over to see the new house. People usually don't know how to turn it on at first. But since it's my family that is using it daily, and I think we know how to use it now...LOL...it's not an issue. It's fun!

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I also like the look of the Vinnata a little better and the ceramic disc is supposed to be good with my very hard water, and I like the one less hole. The price, not so much. I also looked on ebay and that would make the Vinnata at least 200.00 more. Since I am on a tight budget, the Vinnata would mean cutting a little elsewhere or waiting a little longer for something, like maybe a new dishwasher or eliminating a wine rack in the kitchen. I just haven't been able to decide without seeing them in person, if it is worth that much more even if I do like it more. Thanks for the opinions. Obviously, from the number of people who have the leland and like it fine, I probably would be satisfied with it, just not quite as "purdy" as the Vinnata to me.

Sue

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am also concerned about the size of these faucets. Has anyone considered using the secondary Vinnata as a primary sink faucet? I don't have a huge kitchen and I am concerned that these new, larger faucets may look out of place. How do you decide on the proportion of the faucet, according to kitchen size, the size of the sink, the size of the window it will be in front of? I will probably have a single sink in a 33" cabinet, in front of a 43" window.

Do either of these faucets cause splashing for any of you?

Sue

• spinmom
    16 years ago

I loved the look of the Vinnata and was going to get it but wanted to see it first. As it turns out, I felt the scale of it was too big for my space. I too thought about the prep version, but if I remember correctly, while it was shorter, the very large base was the same size. You can check out the specs of the faucet and compare with the Leland. The Grohe Bridgeton (or was it Bridgeford) gives a similar look and comes in ORB but the scale is just a wee bit smaller.

• nepool
    16 years ago

Great point on the prep version. Does anyone have this? I just checked the Kohler specs and the larger one is

16 5/8 tall, by 9 1/2 deep, by 10 inches from spout to top of counter (sink actually)

The prep (K-691) is:
    15 1/8 tall, by 7 1/2 deep, by 9 inches from spout to top of counter (sink actually)

That seems perfect for a not so large sink don't you think?
    Does anyone use this prep faucet as their main faucet?

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler specs

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Really, no one has the vinnata prep faucet? I would have thought some who have the kitchen faucet would have the prep faucet, also, for their prep sinks, and might be able to give us an idea of the difference between the two sizes, visually.

Does anyone have splashing problems with either of these two models? Both are pretty tall and I would think that would increase the chance of splashing.

Sue

• redbazel
    16 years ago

I have the Vinnata in the smaller size at my kitchen sink. My kitchen isn't huge, my sink is in the corner, and I also let myself be guided by the pros in the plumbing warehouse. When I was looking at the Vinnata prep size in their show kitchen, the woman told me that lots of their customers come back to return the full-size and get the prep size. Visually, the full size looked huge to me in the showroom sink. I also had a couple of other faucets, (that I returned once my decision was made,) and the prep Vinnata was bigger than they were. I love mine. It doesn't splash. It operates smoothly and the button controls stream or spray really well. You set the water temp by moving the faucet and the faucet retains the memory of the water temp. It's easy to use. I looked at the bronze, but even at the plumbing distributer prices, (paid about $300 for the Chrome) the bronze was an extra $200. To me, that was insanity.

I never saw the leland so couldn't say if I might have liked it just as well.

• nepool
    16 years ago

I think you've sold me on the prep size faucet especially since even that one is bigger than many others. Too bad the prep size is not any CHEAPER. It will still cost $150 more than the Leland unfortunalty. Online, I haven't found any price difference between the smaller and larger Vinnata.

• vjrnts
    16 years ago

You set the water temp by moving the faucet

You mean, you swivel the faucet to set the temp? So, for example, if I had to push the faucet all the way to the right to accommodate something big in the sink, I would be stuck with cold water? Or, likewise, all the way to the left would force me to use hot water? There is no separate temperature control that lets you position the faucet whereever you want it and have whatever temperature water you want?

• txcat
    16 years ago

I am continually amazed at the generosity of the forum members.

Thank you!

• Katalina
    16 years ago

I have the Vinnata prep size at my kitchen sink. I have a 30" undermount fireclay under an 80" window. I probably could have handled the larger one but my kitchen isn't big enough. I thought the scale of the prep size was better.
    It works really well but it does splash, I think all high arc faucets do to one degree or another.

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, that was great. It doesn't look like you have any problems with splashing? It does seem to reach far out over your sink. I really appreciate your taking the time to do that.

I am going to check the finished kitchens blog to see if I can find photos, but anyone who wants to post a photo of their sink area with one of these, I would love to see them, esp the Vinnata prep version and the leland, to look at the overall scale of those and try to determine if they will look too big in my kitchen. That is my last concern, and just seeing the size of faucet in relation to your arm, I think even the smaller leland might be too big for me.

Thank you so much for all your help!

• ksfaustin
    16 years ago

It's not installed yet, but I bought the prep-sink size Vinnata in Vibrant Stainless for my main sink. I'm worried about even the smaller one being too large, but I love the way it looks. I love the way the Leland looks, too, and considered both, but having a single hole was the deciding factor for me.

Vicki, I love your video...it's nice to have a voice to put with my concept of "vjrnts". :-)

• nepool
    16 years ago

Vicki thanks so much for the video! I really like that delta now and I really appreciate the great video!

• SusuLo
    16 years ago

Hi,

I have the Kohler Vinnata, and I got mine on ebay. I canÂt remember the price off hand, but I remember it was a pretty good deal. A friend of mine has the Vinnata and I knew I wanted it as soon as I saw it. I too was worried it would be too big in our small kitchen, but I decided to go for it, and glad I did! I love the way it looks.

As far as splashing, thereÂs no problem when it hits the bottom of the sink basinÂI only get splashes if I have the water on too hard and am rinsing something closer to the faucet itselfÂ.operator error. And the operation of the faucet is easy.

• Katalina
    16 years ago

I actually watched that video--good job--but I realize how cursed, how totally cursed, I am with this TKO business. I have my faucet, I don't need another and yet I watched a video about another faucet.
    I have a picture of my faucet and sink I'll post as soon as Photo Bucket comes back online. They're doing some kind of maintenance at the moment.

• nepool
    16 years ago

Katalina,

I am laughing!! I know exactly how you feel... its bad enough picking things out, but then rethinking the items you already picked out is just a killer.

I thinked I've scanned the Finished Kitchen Blog slideshow at least 10 times and each time I see something different.

• niineta
    16 years ago

I also watched the Leland video with great interest. If only the makers would put little videos like that on their websites. I have both sizes of the Vinnata in Brazen Bronze. I never saw the Leland but would still have gone with the Vinnatas because of less holes in the granite. I have the handle mounted on the front. I love these faucets. I can turn them on with part of my arm if my hands are dirty. The big one doesn't splash unless I am rinsing something and bring it up too high. I have a 30"x18" farm sink for it. The smaller one is over a copper sink with a rounded bottom. It does not splash either. I have the tapmaster on the big sink but we don't use it as the faucet is so easy to turn on. I bought Brizo Florianos for our cabin before the Vinnatas were installed. I sure hope I like them as much ( they are not yet installed).
    I would post some pictures but right now I can't even find the faucets. The counters are covered with kitchen stuff waiting to go into cabinets and drawers. Maybe tomorrow.

• Katalina
    16 years ago

• vjrnts
    16 years ago

You're all too kind about my little video. I have a MacBook Pro with the built-in iSight camera and editing software, so it was no trouble at all!

sue_ct, it doesn't splash unless I have it on full force and hold something right under the stream. It doesn't splash on the bottom of the sink at all. It does arch out pretty far, but it's never been an impediment to anything I wanted to do, and the pull-down sprayhead makes it very handy.

I didn't worry about the number of holes in my soapstone because the only other thing I needed was the airswitch for the disposal. The only thing I did wrong was asking the plumber to put the control on the right. I thought that, being right-handed, that would make sense, but I have discovered that I approach the sink with objects in my right hand and reach for the control with my left. Hm...

And kfaustin, now you know why I teach deaf people!

• kpekitchen
    16 years ago

I have the Leland and I love how it looks. However, when I try to lock in the head it pops out. Not by much, but enough that I notice the black plastic. Not sure anyone else would notice. I was going to contact Delta to see if they can help me problem-solve.

KPE

• redbazel
    16 years ago

Vjrnts...........I wanted to see your video but my Quicktime didn't let me. I can hear you though. Good job. I'll get the DH to fix me up so I can watch later.
    You were right to question my comment about setting the water temp. It's a matter of moving the faucet "handle" just like with any other single handle faucet. I proofread, but evidently, not that well last night!!

{{!gwi}}

• vjrnts
    16 years ago

redbazel, thanks for clarifying! I was sure that I had the wrong idea.

Your picture is not coming up for me, and I've tried twelve ways to Sunday to get it to show in a followup post, and I just can't. However, if I right click on the icon, I can copy the URL to my clipboard, and then just copy it into a browser address field and see it fine. I have no idea why the links don't work. Very odd. But your kitchen is gorgeous!

• vjrnts
    16 years ago

kpekitchen, that doesn't sound right. Mine fits snugly against the arched tube. I would definitely inquire about that.

• redbazel
    16 years ago

I'm glad you caught my flub. Most people probably just thought I was drinkin' and postin'.

I plan to update my pix soon, but this is a link to the kitchen redo last year....got rid of old almond tile, old appliances and lino. Kept the cabinets.

Red

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen redo

• mary_228
    16 years ago

I have had the Vinnata for almost three years and it's been great. Mine is in front of a window and over a large sink and the kitchen is pretty big as well, so the size works. As for confusion over which is the hot vs cold, if you install the faucet with the controls in the front, (and the supply lines correctly) then the right is cold and the left hot, just like on any single lever faucet or faucets with separate controls for the hot and cold. This method of insallation also gives ample room for operation if you have a close fit to the backsplash.

• natesgramma
    16 years ago

I have the Leland (love it) and I even watched the video to see how it works. TKO!!!

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I would love to try the Vinnata if I could get a good price. I would buy it on Ebay, but then if I decided it WAS too big I couldn't return it.

REALY like movies, anyone want to star in a Vinnata movie?

Asking too much, huh? :)

• natesgramma
    16 years ago

Here's my Leland. I was afraid it might be to large but it works perfectly and I have so many other goodies, one more hole didn't matter.

Videos on all the manufacturer sites would make it so much easier. Sue, I hope someone can post a Vinnata movie for you.

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You guys are great. What a wonderful display of responses to any question I have had! I would not expect as much as I have already gotten, and certainly should not ask for more. For anyone who is or will be looking for faucets who also thinks these might be too big for them, I am going to post a question about a different style as well. My cabinets are being ordered this week, (not custom, obviously, but will have some custom details, I hope) scheduled to start install in 2 weeks. I went to my first fabricator to view marbole slabs he already had on hand, and to compare to the "Big Box" sale this week, and hope I will be able to post the first finshed photos in 3 weeks or so. REALLY need to nail down a faucet soon, so I can order it online.

Sue

• divamum
    16 years ago

Holy moly you guys are amazing! That video was JUST what I needed to see.... It shows me that we wouldn't be happy with the faucet - I know my DH and he would struggle with anything that "complicated" (ie, goes beyond "off" and "on"!) and thus I can now rule that one out with no regrets.
    It's bigger than I thought, too (I hadn't seen it in person yet).

SO... THANK YOU THANK YOU for saving me hours of research time figuring all this out. Talk about "a picture worth 1000 words"!

Btw, great faucet, just not what we need in our space for our needs!!

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

I have one comment:

Do not buy any faucets without ceramic disc valves.

When your savings is on the order of a few hundred dollars or less, and its a heavy-use, mechanical item such as a kitchen faucet, spend the money on the better quality. Unless pretty outweighs function for you. Unless you have a high tolerance for having your kitchen out of commission while awaiting parts/repairs. Unless you anticipate coming into money shortly--to use for repairs, replacement.

I have already outlived so many crappy, "budgetwise" things. Things with working parts deserve more money.

As my sensible, midwestern friend says: "Daddy always said 'It's not what you pay, it's how many times you pay it.'"

Amen.

• mfrog
    16 years ago

I can't comment on the two specific models, however, we bought a Kohler kitchen faucet because I wanted quality. We spent $900 for this faucet which lasted two years. We contacted Kohler, the tech that we spoke with apparently knew better than us what was wrong with the faucet & kept sending us parts that were not the problem. After living with a continuously leaking faucet for two months we threw it in the trash & replaced it with a $300 Delta. Although the Delta was not quite as pretty as the Kohler, pretty is beside the point when the faucet works like it's supposed too. We will never buy Kohler again.

• adunate
    16 years ago

I imagine every brand has their good and bad items. We have quite a few Kohler products and have always been very happy with them.

Our Kohler Vinnata was just delivered yesterday, after ordering it online. I have to admit, my first comment was "It's HUGE!" After checking it out though, I'm really impressed. It feels so solid, much heavier than others we've looked at.

We also got the Kohler soap dispenser that goes with the Vinnata. It's so cute! That also is much heavier than I expected. I'm impressed.

• adunate
    16 years ago

>>>>As my sensible, midwestern friend says: "Daddy always said 'It's not what you pay, it's how many times you pay it." Good advice from your smart midwestern friend (yes, midwesterners are very smart!)

I also adhere to the phrase "The poor man can only afford to buy the best because he can only afford to buy it once."

• randi66
    16 years ago

My Delta Leland was installed today. So far I love it!! Please excuse the sink, I didnt clean it before I took a pic.

Btw, the sink is from Ticor.

• sue_ct
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was finally able to see the Kohler Vinnata in person in a Lowes in another town, and the Delta Leland in HD. I do think the full size Vinnata is too big for me. I was surprised, though that the Leland spray head was plastic. I think the Kohler is "wrapped" in metal, but I don't remember where I heard/read that. Maybe it was here. Anyway, it felt more substantial. Of coarse my current old fashioned black spray head is plastic, too and it has never broken. Anyway, I would like to see the Vinnata prep faucet to see if it is enough of a size difference for me to be more comfortable with it. It is actually a little bigger than the leland but smaller than the full size vinnata in height according to the specs. Now I am wondering about a couple of others I saw. I found that I didn't find the height as much of a problem in more sleek, slender designs with smaller diameters in the neck, bases and spray heads. They might fit in a smaller kitchen a little easier, or just be easier to get used to in size.

Sue

• jpreisman
    16 years ago

I have a Vinnata in Brazen Bronze in the prep size. Chose this size for various reasons......but mostly because of the extension over the sink. I have a Kohler Langlade with a drop in mount. The full size would have extended well beyond the drains. The prep size was perfect..........looks great,
    and is a great focal point in the kitchen.

Jane

• flatlander62
    16 years ago

First time poster here and glad to see I'm not the only one totally obsessed (possessed?) with choosing a faucet! I love the fact that a member actually went so far as to make a video of the Leland faucet "in action." Thank you, thank you, thank you--what a wonderful place this is for the TKO. For those of you looking to see the Vinnata in action, there's actually a video on the Kohler website.

Now if I could only find a picture of the Blanco Rados; anybody out there have it? I like the simple lines but I haven't been able to see one in a real kitchen setting--only pictures at distributor's sites.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler videos

• jpreisman
    16 years ago

I have a Vinnata in Brazen Bronze in the prep size. Chose this size for various reasons......but mostly because of the extension over the sink. I have a Kohler Langlade with a drop in mount. The full size would have extended well beyond the drains. The prep size was perfect..........looks great,
    and is a great focal point in the kitchen.

Jane