SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mommy2nk

So many questions for my Kitchen Renovation

mommy2nk
12 years ago

Hello,

I am a newbie to posting but I have looked a this sight so often, I just love it!

We will be moving into our new house the first of the month and plan on doing a kitchen and flooring renovation first thing. We have our flooring selected already, it is the Mohawk Chocolate Maple in the Santa Barbara/Brindisi plank. The cabinets will be painted a creamy white and hardware added. We will be ripping up the current center island and having a new one built that will have a table attached to seat 5. The countertops will be granite. I am also wanting to add a farmhouse sink, double oven, and then a cooktop. I have had much inspiration from this site and just googling White Kitchen's..

I have been to a few slab yards and I am so confused on which direction to go with regards to the countertops. First, I think I want dark counters but then I see light counter's and I want light counter's. When I first started looking I figured polished but then I realized there were other options as in Honed, Leathered, Satin. I really liked the look of Honed but I am not sure if it should be an option for my young family. I have seen the leather/satin finish and the texture is throwing me off, but I have seen such beautiful kitchens that have used it. It makes me think I should consider it. I have been told that polished is not very forgiving when showing prints and such.

As I stated we are a young family 3 & 5 year olds plus a teenager, we will not baby the counters. It will be the most used area of the house. We are doing this on a budget as well..

So my question are basically:

Color: how should I decide the color of the countertops because I really like the look of both light as in White Springs, Kashmir White, and I like the dark as in Maroon Cohiba, Labrador Antique (possibly a tad to brown) and Black Pearl. One idea I was floating around is possibly doing the perimeter dark like black pearl or Maroon Cohiba (leaning towards MC) and then the island (which is not large) in the light color, or visa versa Light perimeter dark island, best of both. I would want them to complement not compete, would Marron Cohiba compete with a lighter color? I will be using either a crackled subway tile or the arabesque tiles, and I also want these to flow.

Finsh: Goodness, another how do I choose? Which is best for a family and will hold up for many, many years? Hard-water in our area too.

Double Oven: This is not part of the make-up of the kitchen, right now it has a range. I have been to many model homes to get ideas and I have seen double oven's in all of them and desire to also have this. This of course means we will have to do something in the space to allow a double oven, is this a hard thing to do within exisiting cabinets? The cabinets are builder grade, how hard would those be to match up? Is a double oven all it is cracked up to be or should I just put the money towards a really great range.

Apron front/Farmhouse sink: (my dream), this is also something that will need to be worked in the exisisting cabinet's, can it be done? Or should I consider something different.

Lastly The Island: We will basically build an island build a table connected to it, (think farmhouse table with 1/4 of it cut off). If I go with my idea of using dark counters on the perimeter, lighter on the island, would the wood table top be too much? I hate to think we would have to granite that as well?

I am so sorry for so many questions but I figured I could just get them all out! Thanks so much!

Comments (10)