SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dyhgarden

So many kitchen reno questions

DYH
9 years ago

Hi,

My moniker was changed when Houzz and Gardenweb merged, but I was Wonbyherwits on Gardenweb.

Back in 2005, my husband and I built a new home and I received so much helpful advice. Sadly, he died (age 60) from brain cancer last year, so I'm downsizing to a 1939 colonial.

I'm downsizing from a 16'x20' dream kitchen layout to a much smaller room.

My contractor and I are working on the renovation plans, dimensions will roughly be 9'x12' U-shape addition off the current kitchen. The current kitchen space will retain the one-foot deep cabinet hutches to use as pantry and I'll use a mobile counter-height island there for hanging out with friends and family. We found oak flooring beneath the layers of vinyl!

Current kitchen has a mix of countertops with mahogany butcher block on the island, granite on the counters and painted wood on the hutches (resemble furniture). All have served me well -- no complaints. Current kitchen is English-inspired. In the 1939 house I don't want to replicate the era, but I want the influence to be apparent.

I'm now trying to catch up on the latest materials, appliances, etc.

1. Countertops: Everyone warns against marble, so what is the best "marble looking" quartzite?
  2. Sink: I'm looking at 1930s era sinks to refinish. Pros, cons? (I currently have a Shaw's Original Farm Sink and do love it)
  3. Range: I've been extremely happy with my Kenmore Elite dual-fuel range with warming drawer, but I'd like something more upscale this time around. Wolf? KitchenAid? GE Monogram?
  4. Fridge: Again, I've been happy with my French door Kenmore Elite. I definitely want a bottom freezer again -- a built-in or counter-depth fridge. Recommendations? (I know about the appliance forum, but I think this forum has more activity.)

Thanks,

Cameron

PS - Attaching a photo of my current, 2005-built, kitchen.

Comments (14)