SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smaloney_gw

Two dumb kitchen reno questions (plumbing and walls)

smaloney
11 years ago

1) I have a small galley kitchen on a slab and bounded by load-bearing walls, that seems unredeemable without major structural work. One of the ideas I've come up with to try to avoid drilling into the slab would be utilizing some of the space in a utility/laundry room that runs parallel to the galley. The general idea would be to move the laundry machines to the galley (making it into a hallway) and utilize the current laundry space plus a bit of space stolen from the adjacent family room for the kitchen. There are currently pipes in both spots, but I don't know if the specifications for draining a laundry differ substantially from those for a kitchen sink. Does this sound generally possible, or are there technical plumbing considerations I'm missing that would rule out even considering this kind of a switch?

2) Is it necessary to have an architect draw up plans for a renovation that involves opening a load-bearing wall? The opening would be approximately 7.5ft wide (the width of my current kitchen) - there is currently a 30" doorway there. I know that a structural engineer would be necessary, but a contractor who just sent me a proposal included requirements for getting an architect involved as well. I'm trying to do this in minimalist fashion, and if just opening the wall a bit is going to require an architect, I'll probably drop that idea entirely.

Let me caveat these queries by saying none of this is DYI, so there will be professionals involved at every stage of anything we actually do. I just am trying to figure out the universe of the possible, since it's such a problematic space. Thanks for any input from those who know so much more than I do!

Comments (16)