SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_124255545

why do so many expensive homes lack a high end kitchen?

B D
4 years ago

I live in a Boston suburb with median home prices so crazy high that most sane people from other parts of the country would burst out in laughter (or tears). My house is probably slightly above the median. I am planning a remodel for a kitchen that hasn't seen much love in decades. (We've been here 10 years.)

Wanting to keep up with the local market standards for future resale, I regularly check real estate listings for homes of comparable value (and higher). What I see are kitchens that are, more often than not, pretty underwhelming, relative to the home price. These are homes selling for between a million and a million and a half. Personally, if I were buying a house for a million plus, I'd expect high end appliances/cabinets/floors/etc.

I hope I can get my point across. What might explain why so many really expensive homes have lackluster kitchens? Is it just that I value certain things and others don’t? Different tastes? I suspect that it’s usually not because people maxed out their finances just to buy the house, as so many people in my town probably have mid-six figure incomes and up. (I wouldn’t include myself in there!) Is it just that in this neck of the woods, a million bucks isn't what it is elsewhere? Weird, unimportant questions, but any input is appreciated.

Comments (147)