SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
magdiego

Another newbie asking for layout help...

magdiego
12 years ago

Hello,

We're to the point of having to commit to a layout plan, and I'm having some last minute doubts. We have added on to the back of our house, going from a tiny kitchen (less than 10x10) to huge. This also is allowing us to create a usable pantry, enlarge the breakfast area, reconfigure and enlarge the family room, and add a mudroom. I am excited, to say the least.

These are some of the most recent drawings, and we've made some minor changes, but nothing that couldn't be altered. The window over the sink is fixed; the window on the "north" wall is not (yet, anyway). The doorway to the dining room cannot be changed, at least not without rebuilding the stairs. The layout doesn't show the breakfast pantry, breakfast area and family room to the "south".

I am the main cook so far, but I've been teaching both my kids (11 and 14) regularly and there are times when they will be in the kitchen with me. I cook and make lunches everyday, bake a couple times a week. My DH does not cook, clean or putter in the kitchen.

My main concern is the wall oven and refrigerator. I've already purchased a double oven and a 36" cooktop (floor samples - insane deal!). I like having the tall appliances together, but that wall between kitchen and dining room is only 8', which limits what we can do. This current layout works for me, but it's a counter depth fridge, which I don't really want. If we go deeper, we'd waste even more space in the corner, but I keep telling my husband we have room to spare. He'd like to make use of it all, which I totally get.

From kitchen
From kitchen

OK, GWers, please tell me what you think!

Thanks in advance,

Mary

Comments (5)