SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
se_me

Newbie needs layout help please!

se_me
12 years ago

My hubby, 3 big dogs and I moved to the DC area on extremely short notice (3 weeks). We had to buy immediately due to the dog situation, the house we bought has a great private, treed lot and very promising floor plan, but it requires a lot of updating. I have never done any sort of remodeling before, and this was not a premediated move or renovation....so I am extremely green! Demo is already underway, so no backing out. I have a few days before they finalize the engineering plans for the load bearing walls, then it will be cabinet ordering time. Details:

House is a 1979 colonial, main floor has 6 separate rectanglular spaces. For the back half of the house, the dining room is north space, kitchen + eat in dining is middle, and family room is south section.

We planned a completely new space for the kitchen that absorbed the eat-in dining but brought down the wall to the family room, creating a larger kitchen w/ island seating open to hearth room.

We have a GC who is great so far, but I have not met with a KD. I've been lurking on GW for the past few weeks and think (hope!!) I have a decent layout. I would really appreciate your candid feedback..

Some notes:

* Both interior kitchen walls are load-bearing, we have only budgeted removal of the south / family room wall

* I like to cook. A lot. And from single ingredient / farm source. When I say scratch lasagna, that means I ground the wheat berries into flour and make the mozzarella and ricotta from raw milk. So I make a fantastic mess of my kitcen several times a week, it truly needs to be professional grade

* I could do without the wine cooler and likely will

* the ice machine is mandatory, though I am unsure about it's current placement being so far away from the glasses. I placed it near fridge.

* the island consists of 24" base on range side, 12" storage cabs on backside. 18" overhang on 2.5 sides.

* all upper cabs are ceiling height and all base cabs are drawers....I have not updated all elements of the design tool to reflect this

Question:

* Is there a track system that will allow the trash to slide from either the end of the island (towards the sink) and also the edge (towards the range)?? If not, I don't know if current trash is too far from sink / DW.

* I don't keep a lot of food on hand, so we are fine with the 24" floor to ceiling pantry to the left of the fridge coupled with the lazy susan / open shelving to left of sink. But it is a 5 bedroom house, for resale purposes should we include a 48" wall to ceiling pantry in the dining room? It is shown in the diagram on the notes / right side

* Does it look awkward to have the edge of the lazy susan be the edge of that run? I love having a lazy susan for my canned goods and that is my only corner

* Any concerns about bay window flush with counter? The old windows were 3 separate double hung, but I'd like bay window w/ fixed center and casement sides. The counter would be continuous from sink to the window, no backsplash or ledge. Water issues maybe?

* I only have 8' ceilings, but I love the tapered hood ranges (RangeCraft Miami model). Will that shape be ruined by 42" width but 30" height? I can dispense with the uppers flanking the range if need be for appearance sake, but I would rather not. Another option is shorter flanking upper cabs?

* Added small "charging station" for our phone caddy at the south end, table height. Does that look too strange? I would orient base cab to hearth room instead of kitchen, just haven't spent enough time with my design program

I now have a better appreciation for picture posting angst from other threads. Can't find the html info, hopefully this link works (the birds-eye view is more accurate, as I haven't filled in all base cabs / finishes for the 3D view). Hopefully it at least provides a decent visualization tool.

Thanks so much! I am really grateful a forum like this exists. I have learned so much over the past few weeks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Layout & Incomplete 3D

Comments (18)