SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editionk_gw

Help! Did I Plan this Kitchen Too Small ???

editionk
12 years ago

Hi All - I'm in the middle of a kitchen addition. I'm staring at the ginormous hole dug in my backyard right now (putting basement underneath). Our layout is final and window/slider locations are set.

I thought everything was fine but when we mocked it up in the garage I had a freak out moment and really felt the walkway from the garage into the house was too small.

The options to relieve my worry are: (1) smaller island which DH is against, (2) keep existing small table 3x4' instead of the 41x90 table that's sitting in the garage currently and I'm not sure this is enough of a 'fix', (3) move the basement steps.

Moving the steps is very doable and DH loves the plan as it erases some challenges in the basement. I'm ok with the lost space in the living room, but just unsure in general if I want to add this to the scope of the project.

If we move the steps I lose a 37'' coat closet (currently the only one in the house) which in the new kitchen will morph into a printer closet + coats + games, etc. We are building a 5' coat closet also.

If we move the steps we also then have the challenge of a complete 110% open view from the garage entry all the way down the hallway into the master bedroom. Not sure I like that.

Another concern with moving is I don't know if I'll love it being so open in the living room down to the basement.

And do I really want to add to the mess? This means a lot more mess and dust and time and energy... The part of the basement we're talking about is already finished. This could be a winter project and DH is a good DIY'er.

Pluses to moving steps in additionto resolving some basement layout challenges: If we move we have much more room in the kitchen are. We would also move the 1/2 bath doorway allowing a mudroom type entryway with shoe bench and charging station.

Bottom line I just need to bounce these layouts off some people who are not me and DH who can give us frank and honest feedback and suggestions. Thank you!

Layout "A" - Do NOT Move Steps

Layout "B" - Move Steps

Comments (36)