SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vate_gw

2-year old KitchenAid icemaker leaked, damaging floor

12 years ago

I have an undercounter Kitchenaid icemaker that we installed as part of our total DIY kitchen remodel finished in June 2010. So it's out of warranty, but basically brand new. It is installed in our island.

We discovered last Saturday that it had been leaking water for days. The volume of the leak was low, drip drip drip, so there was no puddle. Instead, the water happily traveled down into the spaces between our bamboo flooring. The wood in the island cabinet also soaked up water, and is damaged in areas that are thankfully covered by the icemaker.

As far as I can tell, the water traveled along and under the flooring in an area of about 10 square feet. Because the flooring is strand bamboo (Teragren, if you are interested), it is highly resistant to water, so it has not swelled up or buckled. However, there is some darkening in the cracks between boards, and some edge damage that can be seen if you look closely (from 3 feet or less). The boards that got the wettest, under the icemaker, are the worst off as they were exposed the most. I don't know if there is any mildew/mold growth, and that does concern me.

The repair guy came today, and it turns out the leak was not from one of the obvious sources, such as the supply line. Instead, it is from a hairline crack in the valve, which is part of the guts of the unit. In other words, it is a manufacturing issue. He mentioned that KA has had a lot of issues with these valves.

Needless to say, I'll be calling KA to see if they have anything to say, perhaps I can at least get a new valve and reimbursement for the service call. A replacement valve is about $75, and the repair guy (who didn't have one on the truck) showed me how to replace it (pretty easy).

FYI, model is KUIC15NRTS. A 15", stainless steel icemaker. We paid something like $1400 for this. I would consider that a Mercedes price for a machine that has a Yugo water valve.

Comments (2)