SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steph2000

Spinning, Spinning, Spinning - Can you help me get traction?

steph2000
11 years ago

Our remodel is (thankfully, I guess, given I haven't made any decisions) going really slow. At this point, we are leaning towards DYI. We DID manage to get the beam in last week and were able to put it in the ceiling instead of have it exposed. The final inspection on the heating system is going to happen tomorrow - my partner is in the trades and switched out the gas furnace for a boiler that also works as a water heater and can connect to solar panels down the road. Then, the electrical box will be moved so we can tear down the wall separating the kitchen from the "living room" (greeting area, I think it is more aptly sized).

It's MY job to make the design decisions. As many of you know, I've been waffling on layouts for over a year and keep jumping around from a U to a L + island to even considering a galley. I'm still not finalized on what I want and we have decided to hold off on making a final layout decision until the wall comes down and we can play with templates and really visualize what we are working with regarding space. That's a good thing for me, I think, as I am spatially challenged and my vision is always bigger than the actual space I have, if that makes any sense.

I'm also jumping around on appliances. Tall and skinny fridge so I can have a pantry pull-out vs French door counter depth fridge with no pantry. Gas range with no backsplash versus convection/electric flat-top for cleanability. Double sink like I have because I really use both bowls and won't have a second sink in the remodel versus single bowl sink. Stainless steel hood on a blank wall versus a lower profile cabinet looking vent surrounded by cabinet uppers. 18" DW versus 24" DW.

Then, of course, is the part I really care about. The look. The materials. The cabinets. I go into stores and I just do not see anything that really appeals to me. Home Depot and Lowe's displays primarily make me feel uninspired and depressed. Miles of countertop choices and I like, maybe, 3. Went to my first granite yard and didn't find anything that really grabbed me, but two or three that I could live with and work with, including a black leathered stone, a whitish stone that had grey and green swirls and a linear stone that I liked except it leaned purplish to me.

Meanwhile, I fall in love with various finished GW kitchens. I am exposed to various tile backsplashes that I swoon for. They are not the same look. Not. One. Of. Them! Well, except they have at least some white cabinets generally. (I already have white cabinets with chocolate brown counters - and 3 family members telling me white is totally out while my partner whispers in my ear about paint durability and cleanability).

I can't even seem to commit to style. I live in a 50's ranch. So, I'm narrowed down to leaning simple cottage look or leaning a tad modern without going too far off in that direction as I do have traditional mantels and paned windows/french doors I am not going to switch out.

My aunt is remodeling her kitchen in Chicago. She decided she didn't want to do all this so she hired a designer. Had to do it all anyway. Hired a second one. Still having to do it all - and involving experienced family members to come up with better ideas. So, she is forking out money for nothing. Not so interested in that...

I enjoy the options, the eye candy and even, mostly, the process so far. However, I really have to get out of daydream/research mode and get mobilized.

Can anyone else relate? Anyone out there have suggestions as to how I can get a focus and at least begin, in some kind of systematic way, to move towards an actual plan?

Comments (22)