SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbie1031_gw

Kitchen Plans- (long) 1st draft w/pics

debbie1031
13 years ago

Hi! I'm a long time lurker and have learned a lot by watching and drooling over your inspiration photos, plans, and successes. I am going to try to attach a plan I have and some renderings along with a couple of GW'ers finished kitchens that are inspirations for me.

Here are the considerations: My current kitchen has a very small, but efficient work area. It is original, but falling apart. The plan that you see takes out the wall between the kitchen and the formal DR which is used for nothing except using the computer on the DR table. What a waste! The plan shows all windows and door openings exactly as they currently exist.

The new plan shows the kitchen sink moved along the outside wall down in front of the existing DR windows. I wouldn't be at all opposed to extending left to make a 3 window opening with sink centered on them.

I am someone who is most comfortable when things are relatively symmetrical. (SO is laughing out loud right now- he thinks I might lose my mind if things don't feel balanced!!!He may be a little right! ;0

The opened up room is very long and narrow: 11'2'' on the range wall and 29' or so long on the window wall. The opening on the right of the range wall leads to the living room. That would be the wall that shows the fridge, pantry, wine rack, etc and there is an opening to the right of that that leads to the front hall. The only separation between the hall and the living room is a low built in half-wall of cabinetry with columns.

Ceilings are very low. 7 1/2 feet. (Really! Did you know that was even possible?)

The peninsula counter would actually extend out further than the diagram shows to create a peninsula eating area. That would probably seat 3 people max.

It is shown in the rendering with the window that is placed over the sink area of our current kitchen (a roughly 4' x 4' casement). That can go...if necessary. The large window to theleft of that is an almost floor to ceiling window in front of our 48'' round dining table- we have 6 people for what it's worth. (Though 2 will be in college shortly...)

The narrowness makes me uncomforatble with the fridge at the left of the buffet run. It looks like it blocks the range wall. Do youthink the fridge should go to the right of the range and then just keep upper cabinets on the ends of the buffet wall to keep it open?

What do you think of the function of this space? I do want more drawers here and there,and I can imagine a microwave drawer in the peninsula, but otherwise feel comfortable. But I'm no expert! That's why I'm turning to all of you.

Last question? Is an island possible, like in the inspiration pics? Obviously, that would require losing the buffet wall. We could open up to the LR....Or keep a solid wall there, but I am afraif of it feeling like a corridor against a blank wall....and losing storage although even without that full wall of cabinets, there would still be double the storage I currently have....And I have considered placing a set of mirrors on that wall to reflect the light and windows from the other side.

Any and all feedback is welcome! Thank you so much!

{{gwi:1962689}}

{{gwi:1962690}}

{{gwi:1962691}}

{{gwi:1962692}}

{{gwi:1962693}}

Comments (11)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH