SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stretchad_gw

Can you help me trim my kitchen budget? LONG

stretchad
15 years ago

Hello! A couple of months ago I got a kitchen quote from a company that I would like to work with on a new kitchen. My husband and I are very busy and this company is very Âturnkey so theyÂd be able to handle the whole kitchen redo without tons and tons of work on my part. However, given the economy, I cannot stomach spending $30k on a new kitchen. What IÂd like to do is examine my kitchen quote and see if there is a place for me to save money and IÂm hoping that you all could provide suggestions on different cabinets, counters, and backsplash options that might be cheaper. I just donÂt know what would be cheaper than what IÂve pickedÂDo you think I could get down to $20k, or is that unrealistic??

Overall, IÂm looking for a kitchen that does not have too traditional of a feel when it comes to door style (transitional I suppose). I am open to other cabinet brands, door styles, woods that donÂt have a lot of grain (i.e. no oak!), and other finishes that may be less expensive. IÂm open to other types of backsplashes (but would prefer something thatÂs not plain ole ceramic tile), IÂm open to other solid surface counter tops that might be a little more common and therefore, less expensive.

Also, IÂm considering leaving the soffits in place, not installing pendant lights over the island, and not installing undercabinet lights too, which would affect the labor costs.

HereÂs the quote:

- Kitchen Cabinets - $12,617

o Kraftmaid, Cherry, Shaker Style with wide rails, Stained cinnamon (looks like Thomasville Eden Style cabinets)

o (Maple cabinets in same door style are the same price)

- Backsplash - $600

o Mannington tile, Carmel beige brick mosaic

- Counter - $4,867

o 55 sq.ft. of granite, with associated costs for edge, sink cut out, etc. Includes install cost

o CanÂt remember the exact colorÂoriginally wanted absolute black, but think this price quote was for a black granite that was a little cheaper than absolute black (Labrador black maybe?)

- Labor  $12,150

o Remove cabinets/counters

o Remove soffits

o Remove large ceiling light fixture

o Relocation of appliances

o Add new GFI outlet

o Add/install 2 pendants over island, associated light switches

o Add/install 7 can lights around perimeter, add one can light over sink, associated light switches

o Add/install undercabinet lights

o Repair Drywall as needed

o Prime walls/ceiling (homeowner to paint)

o Install pre-finished wood flooring (tooth in, around island)

o Install/grout ceramic tile backsplash

o Install cabinets

o Install sink/faucet/disposal (homeowner to provide sink/faucet/disposal)

o Reconnect appliances

Total: $30,234

Your help appreciated!

Comments (18)