SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Can you do a white kitchen on a moderate budget?

mrspete
11 years ago

Odd question, I know. It's probably going to get worse . . .

My husband and I disagree about cabinet color -- that's about as basic as it gets, right? He wants wood-tones. He lived in a white kitchen (I think metal cabinets) growing up in military housing, and he associates white kitchens with "poor".

I, on the other hand, am leaning towards white cabinets. I like wood-tones (and have never had anything else). When I look at pictures of kitchens, I often find wood-tones that I like, but the white cabinets just pull me in. They feel like an "ahhhhh" to my soul. They look classic, calm, inviting. All my favorite inspiration pictures are based around white cabinets.

However, the nicest white kitchens seem to be filled with all high-end items. Huge arched windows, furniture-style cabinets with glass fronts, slate floors, etc. We're not on a shoestring budget, but our checkbook also isn't bottomless. QUESTION 1: Can a really nice white kitchen be done with moderately-priced items . . . or would it come out missing something in the depth and texture of the white colors?

Another question, somewhat related: I absolutely must have stained glass light fixtures. I'm thinking one large but simple fixture over the table, two related pendants over the penninsula and the sink. Supplemental lighting to be provided with canned lights.

I do not care a hoot that stained glass lighting is "out". I've always loved it, and it's so me! One of the happiest days in our old house was the day I saved enough for a gorgeous stained glass light over our kitchen table; I kind of wish I'd brought it with me -- but it was light blue and wouldn't match anything we have now. Anyway, QUESTION 2: Do stained glass light fixtures go with white cabinets, or would it look odd? This might be enough to steer me towards wood tones.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Comments (14)