SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
three_daisies

That's Right, It's Another White Kitchen, $20K Budget, Finished!!

three_daisies
14 years ago

Hi all! Our ubiquitous white kitchen was completed in December and just now posting pics. I don't know how you all take such wonderful photos because I had a hard time capturing the kitchen well. The color is off and pics are fuzzy. Thanks to all you great GW-ers - I asked some stupid questions and absorbed a lot of info/wisdom by lurking which was certainly helpful as I navigated this process by myself (DH was of no help!).

I was the "KD" and GC. Our 1976 kitchen was barely functioning - all drawers were broken as were the ovens and microwave.

The only major changes were relocating the fridge where the old desk was, putting the micro over the wall oven, and having the pantry opening changed and double doors installed (and Elfa shelving inside). It's amazing how much storage we gained by those relatively small changes.

The only regrets are that I didn't have the patience to have hardwoods finished on site and that the backsplash grout turned out way too light...and I should have bought the Kohler Vinnata faucet (but I do love our Moen faucet anyway)! Other than that, we're pleased.

A few details:

Came in right about $20K.

Original cabinets were refaced by local carpenter/craftsman who also repaired, reinforced and rehabbed the cabinet boxes.

Carpenter built custom island and hood, pull out shelving.

Black galaxy granite

Daltile 3x6 white subway tile (Lowe's)

Cabinets, moulding, and door paint: BM White Dove

Wall paint: BM Lancaster Whitewash

Floors: prefinished red oak.

16 recessed lights and undercabinet lights added.

Before:

Before (oven wall & previous built in desk):

Before:

After!

Island w/trash pullout (possibly my favorite feature)

New pull out drawers/shelves & fridge where old useless desk was:

What I would LOVE input on is

1. Window treatment ideas - for bay by table and over sink (kitchen faces west & we need sunlight control)

2. Where should I put my 15" flat screen TV?? On end of cabinet run nearest to table or in corner where red platter is by cooktop? We eat 90% of meals at the island anymore and barely use our kitchen table (other than for kids' homework), so TV visibility from table, while nice, isn't essential.

Comments (95)