SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alwayssunshine_gw

You really can do it with a teeny tiny budget

alwayssunshine
13 years ago

We are a little family in our first house, we loved everything but the kitchen and baths when we moved in. We know this isn't our forever home but really wanted to make it nicer.

So.....with a little under $5000 we have completely redone the kitchen. I knew if would be an improvement but WOW!

We still have painting and back splash to do but we had the countertops installed today (if you can't tell I am very excited!)

Thanks for letting me share!

Cabinets--$500 off craigslist, we looked for a long time and found someone who wanted all the cabinets in the house gone. Kitchen, two bathrooms and laundry room, this gave us the flexibility to use what we could and have extra doors, boxes ect. We took the cabinets out of their house ourselves, very CAREFULLY!

We kept the floor

We kept the appliances except the old cheap hood

Added a Microhood

We removed a huge pantry that was too deep and always unorganized and put the fridge where it was, with cabinets.

We had a drop down ceiling with soffit all the way around. Basically a trey or huge box in the ceiling. Took that out raised the ceiling to accommodate the 44" cabinets and put in the recessed lighting.

We took out the corner that was by the pass through window and opened the whole kitchen to the living room with a half wall. Build up the bar. We are putting in slate tile as backsplash, got the sink and delta pillar touch faucet off of eBay for a song.

We paid for a few things: Electrician to move the fridge and stove wires, carpenter coming in for one afternoon to "finish" the cabinets after we hung and placed them, a friend who helped with the final drywall on the ceiling, and the granite. But mostly it has been sweat, blood, and tears from me and my wonderful Hubby!

Thanks for all the post here, you have giving us so many great tips I can't list them all. We have learned a lot and more skilled because of your advice. Tell me what you think (I can take it ;-)

I didn't take good before pictures but this gives you and idea!

Ceiling gone

After Drywall

Bar

Comments (7)