SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swentastic81

Paging ctycdm: glue-up this weekend. Ten million clamps?!

Your profile doesn't have an email so here goes:

I've been pouring over articles on gluing up before we attempt to DIY these kitchen shelves. I'm really struggling with how much pressure they're saying our boards will require and I'm afraid we're grossly under-equipped.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/27122/how-to-glue-up-joints-the-right-number-of-clamps

That's the article I've been reading, and if I follow their advice for our 75" long shelf, I'd need 90 1000lb clamps to do it properly. That's more than one clamp for every inch!! I'm not sure I can even get clamps that strong - I'm worried I'll only be able to get my hands on rinky-dink clamps.

I ordered hard maple (was that a bad idea??) and I'm going to screw this up by not clamping them properly. I didn't realize how hard this stuff really is.

I was planning on borrowing clamps from anybody and everybody we know, and only doing one shelf at a time. I am going to use titebond (since that seems to be the popular recommendation) and do this in our half-heated garage where it'll be 55 degrees or more. I'm going to use cauls to keep them flush, and I understand that I should have an even bead of glue coming out along the entire glueline once it's clamped. I'm really the most concerned about getting it clamped tight enough to form a solid joint.

Can you lend any advice? Does anybody rent clamps? Is there a better way? AAAAH!

Comments (6)