SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mike_larkin

Solar Pool Cover - Keeping from flying off

Mike Larkin
17 years ago

Last year I purchase a solar pool cover.

I have a 16x24 double poly GH

My probelm was it would not stay on- the wind would constantly blow it off

I had rope ( clothes line size) from side to side then from front to back. Some how the wind caught under one side and it would slowly work loose.

I used those plastic clamps from Home Depot - but they would not hold tight.

I thought about getting and old soccer net to hold it secure.

Any other ideas?

Comments (38)

• Karen Pease
    17 years ago

You could caulk it on.

Be sure to trim all loose edges that the wind could catch.

• stressbaby
    17 years ago

I used tarp clips. I folded the cover over a small stick or toothpick and clamped the fold and the toothpick in the tarp clip. Pop the bubbles on the cover where the clips are. Then lots of bungie cords and rope.

In the end, it didn't work very well for me and I intend to reapply strips of the solar cover on the inside this year.

• Related Discussions

Solar pool cover year round in hot climate?

Q

Comments (19)
    My goodness, this thread takes me back in time! Mighty_turf, I ended up not using a solar cover on my 10x12 HFGH (decided my climate really didn't require it) so I am no help on best places to purchase. I believe conventional wisdom is that most heat loss in a greenhouse occurs through the roof. If I were to purchase one I'd definitely cover the roof, and probably lap it down the sides a bit, depending on the size I ended up ordering. Hopefully others here will have more specifics for you. If not, I'd consider starting a new thread with your specific questions about solar pool covers, to get a few more eyeballs on your questions. (Sometimes newer threads get more attention...?) Happy New Year!
    ...See More

Solar pool covers are not for windy sites

Q

Comments (9)
    Robert, it looks as snug as a bug in a rug. You did a very neat job. So the twig just gives the slippery cover something to grip on. Neat idea. If you continue to have wind getting under the cover you may could seal it down with duct tape. No not the regular gray stuff. They now make an 'All weather' tape. It is gray also. They have clear but I couldn't find it in 'All Weather'. It was cheaper than ordering the clear 'greenhouse' tape from the internet. 30 Yards was around $5. @ Wal-mart. That's 90 ft. I wished I had done like you and put my vents in the knee wall. But I had intended for my vents to be in the back wall not the front wall and have the exhaust fans on the front wall. But my DH and the installer got them backwards and I just let it go. The air coming in would have been from the North and probally cooler. Now it's pulling the SE air which is hotter. I have bought some extra vents that can fit in the exact space as a cement block but not installed yet.
    ...See More

Whats the difference between a pool cover and solar cover?

Q

Comments (4)
    aezarien is right. A black cover would plunge your GH into darkness, at which point, you might as well shut it down for winter and move the plants into the house. As for leaving the aluminet up all year: If you experience so much sunlight you need shade in winter; are you sure you even need a solar cover? You might do as well by permanently lining your GH in bubble wrap, which will keep it warmer in winter and cooler in summer. Sort of like going from lightweight double to heavyweight triple polycarb, which may well be all you need in your climate.
    ...See More

Solar Cover on or off during the day?

Q

Comments (2)
    The answer is....it depends. Since the major source of heat loss is through evaporation, the answer to use of a cover in daylight is it depends on the following. It WILL cut down on heat absorbed by the light striking the water. It WILL retain heat due to lower evaporation due to both temp and wind conditions. So if you are in a windy, desert location (higher evaporation rate) it would likely be better to leave it on, but if you are in a calm, humid environment (lower evaporation rate) it would be better to remove the cover. Add in complications due to your cover: clear, blue, or ??? If you like playing with numbers you could do a bucket test to figure out how much the water drops in a day, add in the surface sq footage and then could calculate the BTUs lost to evaporation. I think most areas have some solar data available as well as mean wind conditions, etc. Would be a fair amount of work just to get an estimate, but if you like numbers it could be like a treasure hunt.
    ...See More
  • Vamptoo
    17 years ago

Dang,

I was hoping someone would have a good solution for this. The clips and bungee cord routine did not work well for me either last year and I'm in a spot that gets very little wind too.

I have puzzled over this most of the summer. I have a handy dandy little tool in my craft closet that will put grommets in and I was wondering if they would hold or just tear out and shred the ends of my cover.

Any one have any other suggestions?

Cindy

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    17 years ago

If you have baseboards on the sides you can either use a wirelock system or firring strips among other choices. For the firring strips screw two rows of strips on each side parrallel with the ground leaving room for a loose fitting third strip between them. Then after covering with your cover push the third strip over the cover sandwiching it tichtly between the outer two strips. three or four screws per 8 ft will hold that strip and your cover secure. You then can use batten strips on the ends so wind doesn't get under any surface.

You'll need to pop the bubbles to get a tight fit whereever you secure it. You should be able to remove it and reapply the cover without much additional work.

I got a roll of the pool cover for my 15x40 GH and I plan to permanately sandwich it between two poly layers and then inflate on both sides of it. I just hate to do it before the double poly layers that have been on for 12 years will need to be replaced. I am securing it with the firring strips but plan on switching to wirelock (longer life).

• Mike Larkin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

my problem was that I did not get the pool cover large enough !

However - I could lay a layer of poly over the top - and cover the pool cover. I would be able to extend the single layer of poly to the bottom of each side and attach with a the method you described.

Wow - lots of work

Still thinking

• Karen Pease
    17 years ago

Do consider clear caulk. It's not too expensive, it's easy to apply, and it's good for sealing up joints (i.e., helping prevent the wind from getting under it, which is what will get it ripped off) in addition to holding things together. You could combine it with another method of holding the cover on.

• gardenerwantabe
    17 years ago

Dam I just bought a Solar pool Cover this week.Last winter I was seeing posts about how great these covers were so I bought one for mine and now I read that they won't stay on.
    Looks like I'm going to have to come up with a way to keep it on now that i have my money invested in one.
    I bought a magni-Clear and it appears to be strong but the bubbles are small and it will not insulate as well as I had hoped for. I probably will put bubble insulation on the inside also. With the price of energy being what it is adding insulation is cheaper than paying to heat it.

• agardenstateof_mind
    17 years ago

My experience is with a much smaller structure, gwb, but it didn't budge through winter storms. I think the key, as a few have already mentioned, is to eliminate spots where the wind can get in there, catch hold and do its mischief. With the resourcefulness you've shown so far in modifying the greenhouse, I'm sure you'll come up with something.

Looking back at my log from last winter, comparing before and after spc, same time of day, same weather conditions, it looks like the spc increased the temp differential between outdoors and the greenhouse by about 10 degrees. That was before I discovered and blocked the drafts where foundation meets ground. Unfortunately, I don't have much data from before adding the spc.

I hope it all works out for you better than you're anticipating.

Di

• Mike Larkin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The smoothness of the double poly is part of the probelm - It does not take much to move. If you have a rigid frame covered with a hard surface - I think that the cover can be then secured very tight.

If there wer ( like a tarp) small brass grommets - it would be much easier to secure. Also my pproblem is that it does not reach all the way to the bottom of each side of the GH. If it was long enough I could secure at the wooden base.
    I am thinking about the caulk - but the worry is taking a chance the the poly skin could tear.

Keep coming with ideas. I spent too much on this to give up

• agardenstateof_mind
    17 years ago

Don't know how close to the foundation the edge of your cover comes, but just thinking here: How about folding the edge of the pool cover over and securing it to itself - creating a long channel through which you could then run some type of wood or metal rod. You could then lash that rod, either just the ends or along the entire length, to a second rod or U-clamps attached to the foundation. A strong enough wind from the right direction might get up under the cover somewhat, but I doubt it would go anywhere, (unless you had a hurricane or tornado, and then you've probably got bigger worries anyway) and the rod should help distribute the tension more evenly over the entire length, rather than having the full force on individual grommets.

I'll have to remind myself of some of these issues whenever I get jealous of you folks with the bigger greenhouses.

Di

• nathanhurst
    17 years ago

Does caulk stick to polyethylene? Nothing else seems to.

• Karen Pease
    17 years ago

Caulk can stick to PE and PVC; I just replaced the outer skin of my greenhouse, and as usual, caulked it on (my outer skin is PE, and the inner skin is PVC. The PVC absorbs the IR, and the cheap PE provides a replacable skin for extra insulation). My layers are separated by small squares of insulation to provide a nice air pocket -- also caulked on. On the other sides, I have aluminized insulation caulked on.

Don't just use any caulk; go to your local mega-hardware-store and ask what will bond to PE. It'll take a lot, of course. And, as has been mentioned, make sure that there are no loose ends to catch the wind.

• nathanhurst
    17 years ago

http://www.stealth316.com/2-dp8005.htm

"Cyanoacrylate, epoxy, polyurethane, silicone (RTV for example), and most acrylic adhesives do not stick to polypropylene and polyethylene. I have personally verified this with cyanoacrylate ("Superglue"), two-part epoxy, and several types of silicone RTV adhesives."

In my limited experience with silicone and PE the glue will seem to hold for a while, then let go catastrophically. Better to use a mechanical join like the standard zigzag joiners used for tunnel greenhouses.

• Karen Pease
    17 years ago

Funny, I've never had a problem before. Of course, I only had my last caulk on for about a year, so perhaps I just got lucky. :)

• Karen Pease
    17 years ago

To back up, I think that your best bet, glue-wise, is "sticky", flexible adhesives like silicone-based caulk, if anything, to support an additional method of attaching it simply by stopping wind from getting underneath. It's more of a "tacky" bond than a weld, but it's held for me so far (thanks to copious amounts of it being used). For something of a more rigid, permanent bond, google reveals that there's things like 3m Scotch-Weld Structural Plastic Adhesive DP8010. Supposedly a bit hard to find and expensive, but then again, how much do you need?

• gardenerwantabe
    17 years ago

I plan on bringing the Pool Cover down the sides and anchor it to the ground or foundation but at the gabble ends it will just come to the edge of the roof. This will allow the wind to try to lift it at that point. I have some long nylon ratchet straps that I could place at each end and pull them down tight. That would hold the ends down really tight. I don't want to use adhesive because in the warm weather I want to be able to remove it easy without having to clean up a mess from the chalking.

• nathanhurst
    17 years ago

why do you want to remove it in summer?

• gardenerwantabe
    17 years ago

Posted by nathanhurst VIC Aust (My Page) on Fri, Sep 29, 06 at 20:18

why do you want to remove it in summer

I plan on putting it on the outside and bubble insulation on the roof on the inside.
    Will need to remove in warm weather for the roof vents to open. Magni-clear claims that it will increase water temp in a pool 10 to 15 degrees seems logical the it Will try to heat my GH also. I will replace the pool cover with a shade cloth

• stressbaby
    17 years ago

It seems to me that the only reasons for taking off the cover are 1) vents, 2) aesthetics, and 3) wind or wind damage. If the cover transmits 80% of the light, then it's a 20% shade cloth and that could even help with daytime summer cooling.

Another thing the cover does is diffuse light. Diffusion is something we haven't talked about much, but light diffusion prevents foliage burn, improves photosynthesis, and decreases internodal stretch and plant height.

I'm thinking of leaving the strips of my solar pool cover up in the summer too. Any good reasons not to?

• gardenerwantabe
    17 years ago

Posted by stressbaby z6 MO (My Page) on Sat, Sep 30, 06 at 8:56
    the cover transmits 80% of the light
    stressbaby You have me confused if it only transfers 80 percent of the light how does it heat the pool.
    Is it the bubbles insulate and hold the heat in.
    That is the only explanation I can think of for it working like they say if it transfer less light.
    I still think I will remove it and use a 50 percent shade cloth. Even without the pool cover I can heat it. Heating it isn't hard to do just costly. The biggest problem for me has been trying to control the excessive heat once the weather begins to warm up.
    My only salvation will be the plants come out of the GH and go into the water garden about the 15th of April so the GH will be empty during the summer months.
    In April we have some days in the 70's and sunny GH temps will quickly soar to 120F without proper ventilation.

• Karen Pease
    17 years ago

Well, first off, not all of the energy that it absorbs will go to outside the cover; some of it will go into the pool. Also, losing a little bit of incoming energy isn't as important as stopping that outgoing energy from leaving. Is the pool cover PVC or PE? If it's PE, it will only reduce conduction/convection heat transfer. If it's PVC (or IR-aborbant coated PE), it will reduce radiative heat loss as well.

The bubbles do what bubbles do: they make it harder to lose heat ;) Picture yourself as heat trying to escape a pool. Now picture yourself with a single piece of plastic, the weight of the pool cover, sitting on top of you. You enter the pool cover, then pass through it, then radiate or are conducted away. Now picture trying to pass through a cover full of bubbles. You can't conduct very well through the plastic because there are such thin pieces of plastic leading between the bubbles. You can transfer your heat into the air in the bubbles, and from there on to the bubbles on the other side, but with tiny bubbles, convection doesn't occur readily, so the air has a higher R-value. When you get past a bubble, you have to go into plastic again, then into another bubble, and so on.

In short, things full of tiny air spaces are the best insulators against conductive heat loss. The best insulator, apart from a vacuum, is aerogel. It's a really neat substance made of tiny strands of glass that's almost all airspace. It's only barely heavier than air, and is strange to hold because of that. Feels like stryofoam. However, while your average styrofoam weighs ~30 kg/m^3, the lighest aerogel weighs only 1 kg/m^3. I.e., your average person wouldn't have too much trouble picking up a cube of it measuring ten feet on a side.

If only it wasn't so darned expensive, it would be a perfect inner layer for greenhouse glazing. It even scatters light (usually has a bluish tint, but clear aerogels have been produced).

• nathanhurst
    17 years ago

When you do the maths an equally effective way to heat your pool up is to pour a cup of clear oil on the surface. Most heat loss from pools is evaporative loss.

Doesn't help with your greenhouse, I know.

Aerogel is also fragile, hard to cut and ruined by even traces of water.

I think my idea of triple glazing with heat-shrink plastic is the most affordable and inexpensive solution. I bought a 250m roll of heat shrink PVC and I attach it to window frames using silicone. The film itself has negligable R-value, but I get a really thick boundary layer instead. And almost no light transmission loss. (If PVC stops thermal IR, even better!)

Go for the thinnest film you can handle, more layers are better.

• stressbaby
    17 years ago

This solar pool cover won't fly off

{{gwi:304350}}

{{gwi:304352}}

• Karen Pease
    17 years ago

Nathan:

Aerogel insulation, as is typically proposed (and used in skylights), is not a single piece of aerogel. Rather, it's aerogel sandwiched between hard panes of glass or plastic to protect it (because, as you mentioned, it is brittle - although surprisingly strong). There's also aerogels that have small amounts of fiberglass or plastic batting incorporated into them, making them much less fragile. As for interaction with water, you can chemically treat it to make it hydrophobic if it's going to be exposed. It's a great IR absorber, too. In a way, it's a nearly perfect insulator, except for the current price, which is going down pretty quickly.

Anyways...

PVC doesn't completely stop thermal IR, but it blocks it better than PE. That's why the Japanese pay a premium to use it instead of PE.

So shrink wrap is PVC? Good -- I was wondering where I could get some cheap PVC sheeting around here. :)

• Karen Pease
    17 years ago

Oh, as for caulk and PE: Today, I wanted to add some more spacers between the layers of my greenhouse, which meant separating some of the current spacers that are caulked on to a PE sheet. The spacers are made of an insulation that contains two layers of bubbles, bonded together, and aluminized (I had surplus, it was fluffy, so it became spacers ;) ). Well, the caulk was so tightly bonded to the PE that was easier to tear the insulation in half than to rip the caulked insulation from the PE.

Again, it's not a perfect bond. But in my case, it holds pretty tightly. :)

• chris_in_iowa
    17 years ago

I just had one of those brilliant thoughts I get from time to time and I just had to write it down somewhere so I wouldn't forget it. I hope you all do not mind but in a couple of years I can search google and find it again.

Note to me, (this is a private note just for me, everyone else just scroll down to the next post....)

Next time you cover the greenhouse with poly then also get a pool cover and sandwich it between the two layers of poly and then sell the inflation blower on ebay. You got that Chris? None of this messing about with blowers and them ducting pipes to inflate the poly. Just make a pool cover sandwich that probably has an R value of at least 16mm triple wall polycarbonate and costs a quarter of the price and is easier to fit. OK the downside is when you are in there the world is just a load of spots instead of stripes but....

I hate this place, why, oh why! could someone not have triggered this thought last October before I double polyed mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grrrrrr....

:)

• gardenerwantabe
    17 years ago

Anyone know about this product. It may work good in a GH
    http://www.radiantbarrier.com/temptrol.htm

• nathanhurst
    17 years ago

wantabe: Or, you could use al-foil.

• Karen Pease
    17 years ago

Chris:

There are some problems with that.

1) More layers isn't necessarily better. They add more insulation, but they also block more light.

2) R-values are not all that you should care about. Radiative heat loss (IR) is a bigger threat, and R-values are only for conduction.

It's a balance. Your best bet is air pockets between two to three layers, with at least the inner layer being IR-absorbant, and to have any areas that don't get much sunlight being as heavily insulated as you can with opaque (preferably reflective, in my opinion) insulation.

• chris_in_iowa
    17 years ago

karenrei,

I don't have a hoophouse, each wall and the roof are totally seperate segments as to R value, covering etc. stressbaby nailed it on the head on this thread

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/strucs/msg0909104730738.html

and I am surprised that thread did not get more input. Identify areas where improvement can be made and fix them. Then look at the whole structure again and work out where the "new hole" is.
    On the thread about the polystyrene sheets,

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/strucs/msg081128491250.html

I tried to point out that adding an R3 insulation to one wall was great, bumping it up to R6 may be a waste of money because there may be another place you could put some R3.

Yes, In retrospect my south roof (and sorry to use trade names but people can look it up and understand it better) should have been Tufflite IV outer, pool cover and then Tufflite infrared on the inside. A nice sandwich and cheaper and easier to install then polycarbonate triple wall.

Yes I know polycarbonate triple wall will last longer but, it is also very expensive.

I had a standard double poly inflated south roof so I gained some insulation advantage but all of that insulation was lost by a breach of the outer layer. (see my rant on this thread)
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/strucs/msg0409365924489.html

OK, so I know I am going to lose light on the south roof because of this sandwich but I am going to get a boost in insulation, and because of the bubble wrap sandwich I am also going to get some protection from damage. The sections would be 2ft by 8ft and if I had a breach of the outer skin then my south roof loses 1/12 of its R value not 100%.

Next, as in reducing light transmission, as you say most of the light in spring is through the south wall, so a reduction in light transmission in early spring of say 15% from the south roof is still a loss but a small loss as not much of the total is coming in that way.

""any areas that don't get much sunlight being as heavily insulated as you can with opaque (preferably reflective, in my opinion) insulation.""

North wall is solid and painted white inside (reflective). Half the north roof is solid.

Changes to my configuration next spring?

1, Shade cloth hung vertically inside about a foot from the south side to reduce the tendency of young plants to grow towards the south side but as the shade cloth is on the inside it will block light to the plants but still contribute to raising the air temperature in the greenhouse.

2, Wait until the corn and bean crop is harvested and there is snow on the ground and then set fire to my old barn to the south where the shingles that hit my greenhouse in high winds come from. (insurance company please note, that was a light hearted attempt at humour.) Umm... on second thoughts, I will insure my greenhouse! :)

• gardenerwantabe
    17 years ago

I wonder if I made a mistake. I put polystyrene sheets on the North wall R-5 but I didn't like the looks of the aluminum foil with the large blue manufacture name on it
    I painted it white. It looks much better but will the white paint reduce the effect of the foil.

• nathanhurst
    17 years ago

white paint is not good. It is perfectly fine to have alfoil inside an air gap behind a false wall. It is the air gap and foil combo that is the key. The foil itself has a very good thermal conductivity, it's the very low IR emittance that makes it such a good insulator.

• dfw_lr
    16 years ago

I think foil products are definantely a good idea. Insulation just slows down heat, but this stuff will actually block it, plus it takes up a lot less space. You can probably find it at any hardware store, but if you go online it's cheaper.

gardenerwantabe,
    Included is a link to another thread where we've discussed the same thing. I think Temptrol is going to be the next big thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb Forum

• ole_dawg
    16 years ago

dfw,
    There seems to be some concern on the other thread that you might work for the company. LOL I don't care, I am still very interested in the produce, but, DO YOU WORK FOR THEM? lol

• ole_dawg
    16 years ago

Cris in Iowa
    Where can one buy this tufflite film. I went to their site, but it doesn't look like they sell direct so where can one get it?
    Thanks
    1eyedJack and the Dawg

• solarroller_inventor
    14 years ago

YOU MIGHT TRY USING 2X4's AROUND 2FT LONG. THEY ARE CLEAN AND WILL HOLD DOWN THE COVER IF YOU SPREAD AROUND.

ALSO ABOUT POOL COVERS AND WATER CONSERVATION:

Las Vegas NV and Roseville CA are two cities offering $50 pool cover gov't rebates.

ASK YOUR CITY TO START PROVIDING REBATES FOR POOL COVERS TO SAVE WATER.

Only 200 pools using covers can save up to 3.5 million gallons of water every year (a city tank).

Here is a link that might be useful: Las Vegas Pool Cover $50 Rebates

• jgsype_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Success!!! I have a way to keep my solar cover on! We just bought a 16" Intex pool. I bought an 18' solar cover so that it will be big enough to go over the sides. There are 16 upright posts on this pool. I bought sixteen 2 1/2" spring clamps, (here is a link for the ones that I bought for $1.49 a piece). I just used a spring clamp to pin down the cover to the uprights, just like you would use a clothes pin. The clamps that I used had teeth on them though. So I would recommend that you use a half round file and knock the points off so that it does not damage the cover. Since it is plastic, it files easy. It has worked GREAT!

Here is a link that might be useful: Harbor Freight - Spring Clamps