SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
butterfly1117_gw

Bait and switch Granite? What to do?

butterfly1117
10 years ago

Hi, I am changing out my granite on my island to a larger piece and adding a ledge to another area.
We decided to go with black galaxy bc the original color is hard to match up.

I went to 7 different warehouses and spoke to one fabricator and in the end went with the company who had the best looking black galaxy with a few slabs in stock. Not the cheapest, but not the most expensive.

So, before signing and leaving a deposit, I picked out my slab. There were a few remnants and one big slab. I asked them to remove the big slab so I could see what was behind it. They had 8 other slabs.
They gave me a hard time about removing it though saying they were all the same.
I didn't like the first one because it had a crack running down one entire length of the slab and the surface had a lot of scratches. Also, there were resin spots that I could see and feel through out. I was uncomfortable bc I felt like I was being a pain asking them to move the other slab and they were giving me a hard time. In fact when I asked them to remove the slab, they ignored me and left. I had to ask my husband to call them to ask and still had to ask them again before they did it.
The guy moving the first slab said if I didn't like the one behind it, I was never going to like any of them. He would move it for me, but that was it.
The one behind it was perfect, so I picked that one. They put a sticker with my name on it.

On Friday, someone came to fabricate. After he left, someone called and asked if they could start cutting the granite so they could install this Wed. I said great.

The next day, my husband said we should go look at the granite before they deliver so if we saw anything wrong, we could let them fix it before they came to our house.

He called them and they said they cut it bc I told them to. He said he knows he just wanted to see the final product.

We went over there ( which is far from us and we have four kids ) and asked to see the granite they cut.
The guy went halfway to the area where they cut the granite without reaching there, stopped, then came back and said, they didn't cut it yet. My husband said, how do you know they didn't cut it if you didn't get there yet.

I was standing in front of the black galaxy slabs and looked at the slabs and the one I picked with the sticker on it was still there, but the other one i didn't want was missing.
They had covered up the sticker with my name, with a green sign that said black galaxy, so I lifted it up to see if my name was still on it, and my name ha been peeled off.

I asked the guy are you sure you're going to use the piece I picked. He said yes. I said why did you tell me you cut it and now you said you didn't. He said he made a mistake. I asked him why the sticker doesn't have my name on it, and he said they must of peeled it off by accident.

I told him when the piece is cut and ready to call me and I would come to see it.

Anyway, annoyed by the whole thing that occurred and wondering what I should do? I gave them half of the payment already.
I understand if they told me they couldn't use the entire slab for
My two pieces, but that's not what they said.
I have a feeling that they used the slab I didn't want but they didn't think I would come by to look at it.

Comments (11)