SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sergeantcuff

How to do the Upper Cabinets -1930s Kitchen

sergeantcuff
15 years ago

Hello it's me again with more specific questions about my small old kitchen (10 x 12). I'm feeling better about letting go of the old cabinets. The decision has been made to go with shaker style full overlay cabinets (still deciding on the color - white, cream or pale yellow). I also think I want slab drawers, they look less "busy". Do you think that's a good choice, perhaps no the best, for my vintage kitchen? I've decided against inset because of the cost and the fact that all of the wood in my house swells in the summer.

My goal was more counter space, a built-in dishwasher, and an easier space to clean (more fitted). We are restoring the pine floor and probably getting soapstone countertops (maybe some butcherblock too).

My question is about the area to the left of the sink. It is 30" on the sink side and 52" on the left wall. Is this too small for a corner cabinet? I am waiting to meet with my contractor, but his plans show two separate cabinets, one on each wall. The one next to the sink is very small, maybe it'd be useless?

I also like the shelving around the sink. I'd like to keep the vintage feel of this kitchen and I know modern cabinets will detract for this look. What do you think about having decorative shelving on both sides of the window (and then no shelf above the sink).

I'd like some ideas before I meet with him. I think too many uppers in a kitchen this size will make the space seem crowded and boxed in. I am also not sure about how to do cabinets and vent above the range - I don't want to feel cramped - or block light from the right-side window (which we are shortening). I think the contractor is trying to get us as many cabinets as possible, but we use the same stuff all the time. Also, I have a giant buffet in the dining room and a closet in the basement for seldom used items).

Thanks for your input

Maureen

Comments (14)