SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
remodel_mama

backsplash - bold color or play it safe? (pics)

remodel-mama
13 years ago

Hi all,

So, it's finally time for me to decide on a backsplash. I was planning to just play it safe and use an off-white/cream colored 3x6 tile. This decision was mainly because a) I didn't really know what else to do; b) it wouldn't be such a big commitment to a color; and c) it would be easy to change the wall color later if I got sick of it.

But when I showed the tile salesperson the wall color, she ran in the back and brought out a beautiful terracotta tile that matches the wall color almost exactly... I never imagined a terracotta backsplash, but something about this tile is really making me re-think my plain vanilla/off-white plan. I need your help!

Here is the basic plan:

* White/off-white inset cabinets (Fieldstone - Marshmallow Cream) with Caesarstone countertop in "Espresso"

* Black (antiqued) island with walnut butcherblock top

* White oak floors with walnut inlay/trim

* BM Salsa Dancing on walls with BM Mascarpone on trim

* Burnished/antique brass hardware and small glass pendants over island with burnished/antique brass trim

Here are some pictures:

layout:

island:

island with walnut bb sample:

kitchen colors:

The terrcotta color tile in the picture is 4"x4" - it's just a sample. If I pick this tile (or the off-white one to the right of it), I would get it in a 3x6 tile. The corners on this tile are rounded and they are hand glazed, but the edges are just the slightest bit wavy to give it that hand-made/mold look, but still straight enough to make them easier to install than hand-mold.

If I decide to play it safe and go with off-white, the tile in the top left corner is also a contender. It's a warmer off-white and the edges are straight.

What do you think? Bold (and spicy) terracotta to match the Salsa Dancing or play it safe (plain vanilla) off-white?

Comments (23)