SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ehjoslin

Paying more for cabinets by going through a KD??

dragonfly08
12 years ago

We've been working with a KD for our renovation and are currently at the stage where we need to order cabinets. Initially, she gave us 2 quotes, one from Schrock and another from a custom cab-maker. They weren't too different from each other, the cab-maker's quote being roughly ~$2K more, which I believe, in the long run, will even out when installation and details are considered.

It shall come to no surprise to anyone who frequents GW that my husband and I had sticker shock when given these 2 quotes. They came in at 2/3 our budget. We then asked our KD to get some more quotes, just so we can compare and make our final decision with a peace of mind... knowing that our kitchen is just that much larger than we anticipated and the features we wanted are truly going to cost us.

Today, my KD came in with another quote from Wellborn which is pretty much the same as Schrock's.

While it seems like a confirmation that the job we want is going to cost that much, I can't help but wonder if I could get a better quote myself by searching out other local cab-makers. KDs, is there a commission you're making by referring your clients to specific cabinet makers or lines? Honestly, how much would I be saving if I didn't go through you? Are you getting the best "insider" price or is everything marked up for commission?

Guess our cabs are going to cost us a lot and force us to increase our overall budget by 30%. But, I'd like to decide soon so we can order these cabs and finally get the ball going...

Comments (4)