SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jadebrz

Small kitchen - Help decide on how to optimize renovation

JadeBRZ
9 years ago

Hello!

I am new here and this is my first time posting. I know I should provide a drawing with scale of the kitchen, but at this time we don't have free access to it since we are still under contract. However, I have the general floor plan and if anyone can help me figure out what we should do with the current space to make the kitchen bigger and more functional for our family, it would be greatly appreciated!

First let me say we love the house and although I don't really mind a small kitchen, I need it to have lots of storage for small appliances, a good counter space for food prep and a good size closet with pull out drawers for pantry.

This kitchen's size in itself is good but because it has two doors, one tall window (that I am not willing to sacrifice) and an opening above the sink with the LR viewing, it results in very little usable space for cabinets and counter.

We are a family of 4 with two young children (a preschooler and an infant). I mainly cook from scratch and my preschooler is often under my foot trying to "help" or just to watch me.

We do not host often and when we do, it is rarely a formal gathering so we would be willing to sacrifice some of the dining room space. We are also willing to change the kitchen completely and move the gas line and plumbing in order to make the most of the new space.

So really, the only thing we will not do is to sacrifice the window that right now sits opposite to the sink.

Looking at the floor plan below, this house has the optional family room. So, as a general idea, would you break any walls? Would you sacrifice some of the dining room space? What about the opening above the sink with the LR view - would leave as is, close or open completely?

Thanks for any suggestion on how to go about this!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County