SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncamy_gw

A new perspective

ncamy
12 years ago

For the last four years we have assumed that we would build on our in town lot, and I've honed my kitchen plans to be near perfect. I can tell you exactly where every single item we own will go. I have mentally walked through my dream kitchen a million times.

Now due to the fact that we lost so much money on the sale of our house, we are considering buying an existing home. (We lost as much as we thought we were going to make when this journey began which amounts to $150,000 less than we had expected.) Unfortunately or perhaps fortunately GW has tainted me and every kitchen we look at it is completely unacceptable.

Yesterday we looked at a delightful house that was immaculately restored and remodeled. It had nice everything: Wolf and Monogram appliances, many artist/craftsman touches, etc. But the kitchen despite it's upgraded appliances was ridiculous. In fact DH said he couldn't possibly live with it at all. The cooktop was in a peninsula with NO VENTILATION and worst of all there was only 30 inches clearance between the peninsula and the perimeter counter. To top off the unfunctionality, the oven was under counter in the perimeter directly across the 30 inch aisle from the cooktop. Who could live with that??? I've attached pictures of the offending residence.

I'm afraid that we'll never find anything we can live with or that has potential. All I can think of is that someone who is less TKO would have just ooohed and ahhhed over those fancy appliances and not realized how stupid the layout was. So am I cursed or am I blessed to have all this TKO knowledge?

Here is a link that might be useful: Beautiful house; bad kitchen

Comments (22)