SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitnovice

Kitchen intervention --- need layout help!

KitNovice
11 years ago

I'm having a really tough time coming up with a layout for my new kitchen. I'm just can't seem to form a coherent thought where kitchens are concerned! I'd appreciate any help!!!

Here are the appliances:

Range

Dishwasher

French door fridge (preferably full depth)

Single wall oven

Microwave

I'm so frozen in indecision that I can't seem to even decide between a OTR microwave or built in microwave (over the wall oven?) or space-saver microwave mounted under upper cabinets. My husband has ruled out a drawer microwave - and thank goodness, because at least one option is ruled out!

I'd like to squeeze in a pantry cabinet somewhere too.

There are five of us and we have a large extended family that will be over frequently.

Here's a basic floorplan:

From Drop Box

The wall where the fridge currently is measures 8 1/2 feet, but that includes light switches, etc. The wall with the range and wall oven is 12 1/2'. There are 9' ceilings throughout.

I'm looking for form over function as far as the design goes. Just to give you a glimpse into the chaos that is in my head - I can't decide the microwave placement because if I put it over the wall oven there's no easy landing space below in case the dish gets too hot, but if I get an OTR I have to reach over a gas range to access the microwave, but if I put it under an upper cabinet it just doesn't look as pretty (ok, I guess I'm not entirely into form over function).

We're also building this house, so no custom cabinets for us - just the options the builder has (they're nice options, but not as flexible as custom cabinets). Please help!!

Comments (10)