SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ming001

Honing a polished marble slab

ming001
12 years ago

I'm having a bit of a frustrating time with getting my Carrara Gioia counters installed. I've been working with my GC's fabricator and have decided to fire them. First, I called last Thursday to tell them I'd be out on Friday to look at the slabs and to see the templates. When I got there (40 minutes away) they 'forgot' I was coming and my slabs weren't laid out. I told them I'd be back Wednesday and mentioned as I was leaving that the tops were to be honed. She said that's the first she heard of it and than marble should be polished. When I said that everything I read (here!) that honed marble is a must in a kitchen because of etching she told me that it would 1) etch more because 2) the sealant would just sink in and 3) they couldn't hone the slabs and I was going to have to return the slabs and find honed pieces.

I decided to contact a local (10 minutes away!) fabricator with great reviews and a great reputation at the various slab yards I visited and am having the marble transferred. When I called them the owner basically said that the first fabricator shouldn't be in the business if they were telling me they can't hone marble. However my GC doesn't want to work with them from a bad experience (with templating but not sure exactly what went down).

So.... with all that dramarama and He Said, She Said bickering going on I thought I'd ask the good people of GW if there is an issue with a fabricator honing an existing polished slab. Is there a chance the marble will be uneven (also a claim by fabricator 1)?

There's a photo of the marble in my kitchen reno facebook folder.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Photos

Comments (10)