SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hobokenkitchen

Would you say something or just let it be?

hobokenkitchen
11 years ago

I posted in another thread that our island had a major fissure in it. We drove down to look at the slab and decided to keep it as they said it could be polished smooth and we got a $1000 discount.

At install there were a number of other issues. A corner of the island had been finished wonky - it looked very sloppy but the installer was able to fix it to a level which we could accept (not perfect, but far better). They gave an additional $200 discount for this.

On top of that an additional seam was suddenly deemed necessary - we were told about it prior to install (yes we had been down in person for layout and it wasn't mentioned then). We agreed to the additional seam, but at install it seemed pretty clear to me that the seam wasn't just a cut made in the piece we had laid out at template, but actually two different pieces put together. It looks like a direction change to me. Installer swore that wasn't the case and I got an explanation that there had been another deep fissure which they had cut out and there was a 2 inch gap cut out. Of course it still looks like a direction change to me, but what do I know?

Anyway I was so exhausted by this point that I just gave up and signed off on it and we have paid in full.

It's been a couple of weeks and I just noticed another bad fissure in one of the other pieces. It runs across the whole piece and you can feel it.

The island is also finished unevenly. I guess they re-polished the end with fissure but not the rest, so we have a corner which is more polished than the rest of the island.

There are also 4 small square etch marks where I guess they had taped something?

I will say that it all looks great from a distance and we had resigned ourselves to not worrying about the seam or the island fissure or the sloppy island corner, but I am not happy to find yet another huge fissure. I don't know how I missed it before.

We have already had $1200 off the price. Is that good enough? Did we do well? Did we not do well enough?

I'm fed up that this kitchen seems to be fighting us every step of the way. I just want something to work well, not cost us a fortune and turn out great.

This stone was not cheap and it's sad to me that there are so many issues with it.

So do I contact the fabricator about the latest fissure, polish inconsistency and etch marks? What would be the point? Request more money off? Ask them to correct it (but if the island fissure is anything to go by it will still be very visible)?

At this point we are seriously considering leaving it a year or two and then starting over again. I LOVE the stone. LOVE the look of it from a distance, but really not wild about some of the issues.

Maybe by tomorrow I'll be over it, but right now I'm really disappointed.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus