SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tomatotomata

Anyone REGRET getting a silgranite sink?

tomatotomata
15 years ago

I've seen so many rave reviews on this forum, but here in S.CA I've never seen one, and no one seems to know about them. I found myself describing it to a KD, who clearly never heard of it. Kitchen & Bath showrooms usually have only 1 or 2 on display. I'm afraid there is a negative I don't know about.

Comments (97)

• nicoletouk
    15 years ago

I have had a white Super Single Silgranite sink for just over a year now and I would not buy it again. I do love the size and am happy with the color. I find it cleans easily as well.

However, these sinks are very delicate. My counter guys broke one when they were installing it and the counter. Less than 24 hours later my contractor broke one installing the faucet (my counter guys have been installing counters for at least 20 years and my contractor has been installing kitchens for almost 40 years, they know what they are doing). At that point I wanted to go with another sink but I was stuck with the Silgranite because the marble counter had been cut to fit it.

The sink now has two small chips around the flange. I am not happy.

Nicole

• wendyp828
    15 years ago

I have the super single black Blanco silgranite sink and absolutely love it. Easy to keep clean. Wouldn't trade it it!!

• Related Discussions

Did I just get a Blanco Silgranite I sink (not Silgranite II)?

Q

Comments (7)
    The Homeperfect site is working today. If you think you didn't get what you paid for and you are concerned about durability, then I'd return it. The number on their website is 1-888-850-3999. (That might be a sales line; they should be able to give you a customer service number. Also there should be a number in the paperwork you got with your order.) If the description on their website didn't specify whether it's the I or II model then that wouldn't necessarily be a reason to return it (in their minds) but you also have the issue with the scuff mark that you could use as a reason. If the description did have a model number that's different than the model number on the box you received, that's certainly a valid reason for a return. I'd also call Blanco's customer service rather than waiting for an email response. Then you can have a live conversation about your concerns.
    ...See More

Does anyone regret getting granite countertops?

Q

Comments (68)
    I put Blue Eyes in the kitchen and have cheap Chinese granite countertops on my bathroom vanities, so there is granite everywhere in my home now. I personally do not like Corian or its competitors either. It looks "bathroomy" to me, I don't know why, LOL. About slamming things onto the granite and breakage, I had vitreous porcelain tile on all the countertops in my house previous to all the remodeling. That stuff is so hard! None of the 30-y.o. ugly-ass tiles were cracked or chipped. But if there was no such thing as granite countertops, I would put new tile in before I would do man-made solid-surfaces. Besides, the Blue Eyes granite and many other granites are gorgeous - full of semi-precious stone inclusions. It's my kitchen bling, my mesmerizing Precioussss. I stare at it all the time. Another forum member, JessyF has the blue macaubas like bluekitchobssessed. I spent an afternoon there this week canning fig jam with her - boy is that a gorgeous stone. So why not get a utilitarian piece of art for yourself as you are remodeling? That's the way I looked at it.
    ...See More

Anyone have a Blanco 'Metra X' silgranit sink with drainboard

Q

Comments (4)
    This is a very old post but hoping to bump it, as I have the exact same question - does the drainboard for this sink fit over a dishwasher?
    ...See More

Does anyone have a white silgranite anthrasite sink?

Q

Comments (6)
    Thanks, no wonder I trouble finding them. I saw so many references to anthracite sinks, I didn't realize that was the name of the color rather than the material. I guess it is silgranite sinks I am asking about, and so far I have found blanco that come in black (antracite), metallic gray, biscut and white. I do believe there might be one in a brown color that I saw but I am not sure and can't find it again. Maybe not, it might have been swanstone, which I don't want. Anyway, any comments or photos of the lighter colors or photos of the black with the light counters would help. If I am not going to go with the free ss sink included, or the upgrade to the black silgranite, I need to figure in that cost. They do not offer the other colors with the purchase of the counter top so I would have to get my own. Sue
    ...See More
  • cyndeeshank
    15 years ago

I have a question, I really want one of the Blanco Super Single Bowl sinks, but I can't decide on the color. Does anyone have the Anthracite color with darker granite, like Uba Tuba maybe? If so, would you be willing to post a picture? Also, I'm really worried about hard water spots, does anyone with an Anthracite sink have water spot issues?

Thanks!
    Cyndee

• Babka NorCal 9b
    15 years ago

Suz47-

I went to the Silgranit manufacturer's website (Blancoamerica.com) and there is no such color as "Havana". Are you sure it is Silgranit?

-Babka

• mistrish
    15 years ago

I've had the Blanco Anthracite sink for 8 months now, and have had two incidents that seriously marred the sink. Although it's my fault, after having a stainless sink for 20 years I was used to pouring just about anything in there. You REALLY can't do that with this material. I mixed concentrated weed killer in a sprayer with water, and when I had finished spraying I poured the excess out in the sink and it made permanent blisters in the surface. A few months later I threw a cleaning rag in there that I had just used to rinse a degreasing cleaner off my stove. When I picked it up a few minutes later to wring and rinse it, it had bleached a place the size of a pancake to a lighter black, and I have no idea how to fix that .... or if it even can be.

• User
    15 years ago

We have Green Peacock granite which is almost identical to Uba Tuba and an Anthracite Siligranit double bowl sink. It looks wonderful and we LOVE it! Sort of all blends together. Don't have a pic but can take one later today for you. Also RMLanza has the same sink and faucet with Uba Tuba and she has posted her kitchen on here many times, if you do a search you may be able to find it. Regarding water spots, right after it was installed, I freaked out because within a day you could easily see water spots along the back part of the sink. I was pleasantly surprised though when a quick wipe with a wash rag and soap cleaned them off.

In response to the post regarding care, yes you do have to be careful with what you put in there, no bleach, paint or harsh chemicals but really IMHO with the exception of the bleach those type of chemicals don't really belong in a kitchen sink anyways, just like bacteria, residue from the chemicals could contaminate.

• blob2009
    15 years ago

Does anyone have the dark brown sink? If so, do you have pictures or are you happy with it?

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Our neighbor just had one installed after seeing our gray sink. After hearing about her color scheme (med brown cabs, one of those cream/tan speckled granites and ORB hardware) I told her she had to go with the dark brown sink. She did and it is gorgeous.

• crazyhouse6
    15 years ago

We just had our cafe brown super single installed last week. I love the color, but don't dare post any of the pictures I have yet. It's in new construction and it's full of sheetrock dust. If you don't get some pictures from others, I can clean it up enough to get you a decent picture. I have giallo ornamental granite, stained alder cabinets and a SS faucet. Love the look. It's very warm and blends in beautifully with the granite.

• kitchenredo08
    15 years ago

Here is picture of my Cafe brown silgranite - I love it. Deep, large and so easy to keep clean. Sorry about the lighting - I have a better pic on my computer at home and will try and post this evening if required.

From 90% Done

• kitchenredo08
    15 years ago

Here is picture of my Cafe brown silgranite - I love it. Deep, large and so easy to keep clean. Sorry about the lighting - I have a better pic on my computer at home and will try and post this evening if required.

From 90% Done

• ma-bookreader
    15 years ago

Do a serach on silgranite sinks. Yesterday I was reading in the gallery section (of the kitchen forum) and someone had posted a photo of their silgranite sink. It was a light color sink. the poster was complaining that it was impossible to clean and was very unhappy with it. I think her sink was 14 years old.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

ma-bookreader - If you scroll up on this thread you'll see where we already discussed that post.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Regarding the weak bleach solution, I spoke with Blanco and they suggest the 50-50 bleach/water soak for a few hours, or the Clorox Clean-up products. I hate to use bleach and had success with a Magic Eraser. They said this is okay to use...

I was really thinking I had made a big mistake with the white Silgranite. I am really relieved to see how clean it got with the ME.

• kompy
    15 years ago

kwar, Does your sink say Silgranit around the drain, or just BLANCO? If just Blanco, that doesn't mean that it's Silgranit. Let us know or post another picture. If you don't know how....email it to me and I'll post it for you.

• blondelle
    15 years ago

The prospect of bleach lightening the darker colors of silgranit has me concerned and also the damage from chemicals. I might want to use bleach to disinfect a cutting board or to get a stain out of Le Creuset and I hate to have to worry it might damage the sink. There are chemicals to clean floors and counters that might be poured down the sink, and again I would hate to worry. I had really thought it was more impervious than that. I wouldn't care so much with a drop in sink, but once you undermount it, it's really a job to change out if they can do it at all.

• kompy
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone.

I decided to call Blanco's customer service to find out about that 14 year old sink and the claim that it is a Silgranit. I spoke with a woman and emailed her the link. Together, we looked at the sink and right away she said that is was NOT a Silgranit. She confirmed my suspicions that it was a quartz composite, that were popular in the 90s. She had old product manuals going back pretty far...and finally she came across the sink in that photo. She said they were manufactured, starting in 1992. She faxed me a spec sheet on it, with a photo, and it is indeed a Blancotec Silacron quartz sink. Model number 505-199. It was 70% quartz and 30% acrylic resin. She said that the sinks can be sanded with 300-400 wet grit sand paper to bring back the finish. She also said that one of her friends had this sink and it still looks great today. She thinks the sink may have not been taken care of very well...and possibly was 'bleach stained' over time. She said it was too bad the homeowner didn't call to get help on her sink.

I just lost a sink sale due to that photo. Unfortunately, it scared a client away from Silgranit. That's when I had to know what it was...and that's why I took it upon myself to call Blanco. Silgranit is one of the best materials out there and the truth needed to be told.

I asked the rep if Blanco would post a response on here as well. I Know if I owned Blanco, I would want to make sure that no false information was out there about my products. She said she would pass the information on to the proper department and see if they wanted to pursue it. Maybe they will post here as well.

Sincerely,
    KOMPY

• petra_granite
    15 years ago

installed a few: 2 weeks ago: opened one up from HD and it was cracked clear down the middle. Customer went a picked up new one: no questions asked. Box looked as if it had never been opened.

If some people have had for 5 years then that speaks for all the negatives.

Also, had one customer that hated because she said it was hard to clean. That doesn't sound consistant with posts on here.

Also, if something Should happen to sink: and it's undermounted: getting a cracked or broken sink Unglued is very difficult!

• nutbunch
    15 years ago

Hi,

Mine was from HD and with me throwing it around in my cart and dragging it home myself, nothing was wrong with it at all when unpacked from the box. Mine had clips under and when the fabricators installed it, undermounted, they used the clips and sealed under and on top.

They said if anything should happen or if I didn't like it and wanted something else, it could easily be dropped down, by un clipping and unsealing and the granite would be fine.

I love my sink though. The hard water stains on the black just wipe right up with regular dish soap. It's super deep and none of my pots have made even so much as a mark on it.

Love it!

• optionalnecessity
    15 years ago

Just had my cafe super single installed Monday. It was well packed from Home and Stone...took it out to inspect it, put it back in it's foam packed box to send to the granite fabricators. I explained, to no avail, that some have said that it's fragile until installed...told them to be very careful with it. So Monday they show up with my granite and the sink was out of the box resting on some stuff in the back of the truck. I nearly had a heart attack.......but, it was perfectly fine, no damamge, no cracks. Miracle. They even had to trim it a bit onsite so it would fit the cab and the cutout. I thought for sure when it was all said and done that it would never hold water ;) I absolutely love it...everything about it, the size, the feel of it, the look of it. I don't regret getting rid of the stainless at all.

• brickwood
    15 years ago

Not happy with the first one I got via internet order. The online company I used has initially given the impression that I could replace with the same product, change to a different sink or get a full refund. I'll try for a replacement but if something similar happens again, I'll have to rethink my sink choice.

• lacombe
    15 years ago

I wonder if they make the smaller prep sinks in the silgranit , I've seen them in a small round prep sink. I want to get our main sink done, and also our prep sink done too. I want to say bye bye to my stainless steel sinks. Finding the right sizes to fit my granite areas will be a challenge .

• sprengle1
    15 years ago

I was looking at the sinks again last night and did see prep sinks!

• seaglass7
    15 years ago

I have one of the silganite prep sinks---it's the D shaped one and it's great. Matches the D shaped main sink. Just check Blanco's website, you'll see them.

• lacombe
    15 years ago

Thanks seagrass7 we just have a small s/s square prep sink, I thought if I get the main sink done, I'll have to do the prep sink too. I'll checkout the site.

• snkngrs_aol_com
    13 years ago

I regret my black silgranite sink from home depot,
    after a short time it started showing white water spots, then while cleaning my stove burners with a oven cleaner for burners, I decided to rinse them off in the sink which took away the sinks finish and left large rough white spots, The cleaner said it was safe for appliances and sinks, I guess not, I am going to replace it with a stainless steel sink.

• schutjer
    13 years ago

Any pics of the single bowls installed over mount?

• karen3678
    11 years ago

I have a black granite sink and it was driving me crazy! It always looked stained. Got mineral oil and it is great. The water beads up and doesn't stain and the sink looks better than it did when I got it!!!!

• lucyloo42
    11 years ago

My darling son used my black blanco sink to rinse his paint brush! He didn't rinse out the sink and now there is a paint residue left on the sink that I cannot remove. Any ideas??!! It is all of 3 DAYS OLD!! (and YES he is still alive!!)

• Abteam
    10 years ago

Oh my! There ARE silgranites that are forgeries! I just purchased one!
    All the paperwork was correct, the cutout was indeed for the PRECIS U 2, but the sink was different in size AND weight... What to do! :(

• cmcdar
    9 years ago

I recently installed a WHITE composite sink purchased from Home Depot. I really liked the look and never even considered STAINING! OMG was I surprised to see sauce stains in my new sink.

It wasn't until that time that I found the complaints. I set out on a mission to find a way to keep my sink from staining and have FOUND A SOLUTION!

When I finish doing my dishes I rinse out the sink and then spray it with Tilex Daily Shower. Just spray and leave it. - NO MORE STAINING!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tilex Daily Shower Cleaner

• wakefield52
    9 years ago

Just reading thru comments about Silgranit sinks from 2008. Wonder if anyone has purchased a white Silgranit sink more recently and if they like it. Does it stay white, easy to clean, and is it really white like white subway tile? I am trying to decide between it and a stainless large rectangular sink.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Go to the Blanco website and send customer service an email--they'll send you a free sample to test out. You can also check the color of course.

(I've done some pretty terrible things to my white sample and so far it's doing okay.)

• shannonplus2
    9 years ago

Blanco introduced "Silgranit II" in 2009, which was a big improvement. Not only will you not find complaints in the ensuing five years, but I even suspect the veracity of most if not all of the few complaints on this old thread. Note that the negative posts on this thread are posted by people signing up the same day (Mistrish, karen3678, lucyloo42), or, drachiele who owns a company that makes stainless steel sinks (Mr. Rachiele has appeared on the Kitchens Forum many times, and is actually very knowledgable, but his business is stainless steel sinks), or the funky "PC" with no My Page, just an email address.

Wakefield52--there are so many more recent Kitchens Forum threads on Silgranit sinks, really quite a lot, with positive feedback; you should be reassured that even this 6-year-old thread has positive reviews. I do not recall anyone in the last, say, 5 years with a Silgranit sink posting that s/he regretted the sink.

As to your question about the white color, me personally, I find the Silgranit white too white. I like the softer Biscuit color better. You can call Blanco and ask them to send you color chips so you can see how the color will look in your kitchen. If you prefer stainless--and many do--then go for that. Stainless sinks do scratch and show water marks, but people have liked them, and perhaps that is what you really want.

You might find this linked article about Silgranit II interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Press Release about Silgranit II

• wakefield52
    9 years ago

Fori and Shannonplus2--thank you so much for your comments and help and suggestion of sending for a sample. I did not know that was possible!!! I have had a stainless steel sink forever but was just reading about the Silgranit and wondered if that would be a wonderful choice for my white cabinets, leathered green and white marble counter tops. We are still in the planning stages so I truly appreciate your help and advice.

• heidihausfrau
    9 years ago

I put in a biscotti super single last year. LOVE it! Would never have anything else. We totally trash it day after day. Then I scrub it with a kitchen brush and some dish soap. When it is really gross I use bar keepers friend. It looks as great as they day it was installed!

• fogelhut
    9 years ago

Is Home Depot pegasus as good as siligranite? Can't finger a shallower blanco sink that is like in biscotti. With 3 cm granite 9-10 inches sounds too deep undermounted. I am 5'1. What about swanstone? How do these compare. I know the old ones were not granite but what about the newer ones? Desperate to make a decision. Thanks.

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

I have the Swanstone black (Nero) and love it! Had it 4 months and no complaints. It s the 70/30 low waved divide and I use mineral oil on it and water really beads up. It is a granite composite.

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

I have the Swanstone black (Nero) and love it! Had it 4 months and no complaints. It s the 70/30 low waved divide and I use mineral oil on it and water really beads up. It is a granite composite.

{{!gwi}}

• morockwell
    7 years ago

I hate my white silgranite kitchen sink. The side I use the most is stained a yellowish color on the bottom and none of the above suggestions work. The other side is still okay, just a little dingy. The minute you move a pot around it marks up. Way more work than I thought. Anyone know if you can refinish these things? Installed under counter with granite, so no so easy to replace.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    7 years ago

Morockwell- have you tried Bar Keepers Friend (Oxalic acid) or Clorox? If you have aluminum pans they will mark almost any surface. The sink grids will keep them from touching. Sorry you are unhappy. My Silgranit in metallic grey still looks good after 11 years.

-Babka

• LE
    7 years ago

I have one of the off-white colors and I freaked out slightly the first time I saw a dark mark on it. But it was from the pan leaving a streak on the harder sink surface and now I know they always come off with BKF. I can't imagine how you could actually stain this surface.

• tinker1121
    7 years ago

I would just like to say that my original post was 7/2014 and two years later my Swanstone silgranite sink is still performing well with no scratches or issues. I do use black Rubbermaid mats in it and careful when washing pans or baking items and would assume dark colors would hold up better than the lighter ones.

• practigal
    7 years ago

Morockwell did you try the magic eraser? My white silgranite sink never really gets dirty it just gets dingy. The magic eraser gets rid of that easily. I don't like using chemicals so I find that if I wash the sink with a microfiber cloth after I finish for the day it takes months before it begins to look dingy again.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

I was looking at sinks at Lowe's today. I thought the black one looked beautiful. My husband started looking at it and said we are not getting one of those. The display had a big crack in it and a corner chipped off. That sealed that deal. Not the best advertising.

• practigal
    7 years ago

Ravencajun it seems like all displays are partially trashed these days. I wonder if they are ever done right in the first place...

• urevick
    7 years ago

My white silgranit sink -- ,BlancoDiamond 1-3/4 sink/ silgranit/ drop-in /white model 511-606., became discolored quickly after use. Now it is cracked. I'm hoping to be able to replace it without replacing the entire counter top. (It is an under mount)

Yellowed, cracked , looks awful.

Purchased in 2005. I guess before they improved it --but I would be reluctant to get another.

• arialvetica
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Morock, my white silgranite sink had a stain near the drain too. I finally decided I would rather risk scrapes than look at that yellow anymore, so I used a fork to scrape it up...I don't know if your stain is the same as mine, but mine was kind of a very thin layer of gunk that had formed on top of the surface (SO thin that i SWORE it was stained into the surface). After scraping it up, it looked as good as new!

Purchased in 2012 (Pegasus line, manufactured by Blanco). I loved everything about it so much that, despite it being discontinued, I bought the same one in Bisque for my new kitchen. (Found it on ebay for a STEAL!)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

" Now it is cracked. I'm hoping to be able to replace it without replacing the entire counter top. (It is an under mount)"

I make a living replacing sinks. Budget $1,500.00 or so for the new sink and the labor to install it including the plumbing. I have yet to replace a countertop because of a sink and I've had exploded tops.

• gardenburgher
    7 years ago

I've had my black silgranite sink (Blanco Diamond) for 8 years now and I love it! We're moving into a new house soon and I plan to get another one.