SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berardmr_gw

Tripping on uneven floor tiles just installed - HELP!!!

berardmr
11 years ago

I am almost shaking as I write this because my kitchen project is on hold until we get this problem resolved. My 94 year old mother-in-law lives with us and serving her regular, healthy meals is a real challenge without a kitchen. My husband and I are starting to get on each other's nerves and that's not like either of us.

I ordered 12" by 24" rectified floor tile for my kitchen remodel. I purchased a package deal from the cabinet company; I bought the cabinets and the installation from the same company. The general contracter on my job is a gool old guy, he's been in the remodeling business for over 30 years.

The installation of the rectified (very square edges) tile left a good deal of lippage between some of the tiles. One of these areas is directly in a walkway and I tripped on it and caught myself just before I fell. I only had socks on. In another are of the kitchen floor, my husband's shoe heel got caught on a tile. He stumbled. My GC said that's just the way it is and there was nothing he could do to fix it.

So I called in my beloved tile guy who has done lots of work for me and I've always been very happy. The only reason I didn't contract this work out to him in the first place was because I was given a 'package deal' from the cabinet company. Anyway, he came out today and said he couldn't even try to fix those areas because it would 'void' any claim I might make with the cabinet company. He said the installation of the floor was just awful and that's what happens when you hire a GC to specialized work. Danny only does tile installation and his work is impeccible.

He said this work would not meet code for the Ceramic Institution of America (or something like that). I stopped the job, the GC left in a bit of a huff (my husband helped to calm him down because, for me, I would have gone for his throat).

I called the Cabinet company to complain and the lady who sold me the cabinets said she's never had a complaint against Jim in over 30 years.

But here's the thing -- I can't have a floor that I trip on! And we have little grandchildren that visit and run through the house and I worry about them falling. I can't have that. Or how about when I go to sell the house and prospective buyers walk through the kitchen and trip on the floor? That's a lost sale for sure.

The cabinet company is contacting a guy named Bruce and he will come out to take a look at it when he gets a chance. So I sit and wait, I guess. With no kitchen. And I do want to celebrate our next wedding anniversary.

Please, can you give me some advice or direction? I am in tears over this. And I thought I was doing everything right this time around.

Comments (41)