SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginny20

My new Kitchenaid Induction cooktop is really noisy

ginny20
12 years ago

I posted this on Appliances, too.

I had read all about the noises made by some induction units, variously described as high-pitched, whining, humming, subtle, only sometimes, and depending on the cookware. Generally, though, it was not considered a big problem.

Today I was really upset to find that my cooktop make a distinct low-pitched hum or buzzing, which I can actually hear in the next room, and which gets louder on boost. That I could live with, although it was disappointing. But even worse, on the settings all the way up to 6 (out of 9, so that would be most of the typical cooking levels)it clicks, then buzzes, maybe 30-40 times a minute, as it cycles on and off, I guess. This drives me crazy! It's like dripping water. I can't imagine how I'm going to tolerate it when I make soup or stew on simmer for a couple of hours. Crank some Led Zeppelin on the stereo, maybe? The hood somewhat masks it, but not entirely, since I got a relatively quiet Kobe hood. And, after all, I'm not trying to see how noisy the kitchen can get.

KA customer service said this was how their induction cooktops normally operate. They all click.

So, a question - does anyone with Kitchenaid (ellencr, are you there?) have this same noise?

And a warning - if you are as sensitive to repetitive noises as I am, do not buy a KA induction cooktop. Or at least not without hearing it for yourself. If I had been able to see one of these in action around here, I would have known not to get it.

Other than the noise, it seems great. I made a little omelet for my DD this morning (first cooking in 5 weeks)and it was excellent.

Comments (3)