SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jwvideo

New freestanding induction range models from Samsung & Kitchenaid

jwvideo
11 years ago

I have run across two new models of free-standing induction ranges, the KitchenAid Architect Series II KIRS608BSS and Samsung's NE595N0PBSR/NE597N0PBSR. Both look interesting, but there is hardly any information about them, yet.

Neither shows up on it's company's US website. The KitchenAid is being sold at AJ Madison which has the only specs and images that I could find:

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/KIRS608BSS.html

The Samsung models are being sold by Best Buy and is available for pickup at stores, at least here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=-433333759101002939&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&st=samsung+induction

From the images at the site, these new Samsungs appear to have much more conventional hob-layouts that the Samsung FTQ307 which they replace. The Samsungs seem to have been sold in Canada for a while. Although I did not find any reviews, I was able to finds specs and download manuals from Sumsung's Canadian website, from here.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/home-appliances/ranges/ranges/NE597N0PBSR/AC

As best I can tell, the differences between the Samsung NE597 and the NE595 are:

(a) the NE597 has a warming drawer where the NE 597 has a storage drawer;

(b) the diameters of the hobs on the Model NE595 are: one 12-inch in front; one 9-inch hob in front; and two 6-inch hobs in the back;

(c) the NE597 has an 11-inch diameter burner in the right front; a 6-inch diameter burner in the right rear; and two 9-inch square burners on the left which can be operated independently or bridged together into a long superburner/hob which can have up to 4600 watts on boost (possibly for bringing canning kettles to a boil?)

I cannot find any manuals yet for the Kitchenaid. From what I can see from the images at AJ Madison, the KitchenAid looks like it might have been made for KitcheAid/Whirlpool by Samsung. The Kitchenaid does not look like the induction stoves from brandmates Whirlpool & Maytag. The Whirlpool and Maytag induction stoves have a cooktop control panel between two, small burners/hobs at the front of the stove with the two larger burners/hobs in the back. The KitchenAid has all of its controls on the backsplash and the photo of the layout at AJ Madison is very similar to the backsplash control layouts shown in the manuals for the Samsungs.

The KitchenAid seems to have the same burner layout as the Samsung NE595 while incorporating the NE697 warming drawer. All three stoves have a "slow-cook" function. The Samsung manuals say this is an oven setting for long slow roasting of meats. The KitchenAid specs at AJ Madison say that the warming drawer has the "slowcook" function. Or maybe one of AJ Madison's web administrators got some specs mixed up and the KitcheAid "slow-cook" function is actually an oven setting as it is on the Samsungs?

The only posting I've seen on these stoves is here at Gardenweb from riderman357 who said that he was getting an NE597 as a warranty replacement for the now discontinued FTQ307. (He got two defective ones and then received an NE597 with an inoperable front burner.) In a posting a few days ago, he commented" "This newer model [the NE597] changes the stove top layout to a more conventional look, and the fan noises of the FTQ307 are all but gone. The cook top power is a little lower than the FTQ307 but the oven performs about the same, with a few more features added to the oven control pad."

If anybody has seen or used these stoves, I'm interested in your comments and observations. Maybe riderman357 will have received his latest replacement stove and can comment further on the "597" model?

Comments (5)