SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chicagoser

Layout advice/critic needed...

rexroat
13 years ago

Hi-

(sorry for the long intro...)

I am fairly new to the forum, I stumbled across it a couple months ago when I googled 'pantry dimensions' and having been lurking here ever since. We bought a 1966 home last week and it needs a lot of TLC! All the bathrooms are original, all the mechanicals need updating, the kitchen was updated once but needs a lot of help, the list goes on and on.

SO and I are getting married in a month and hope to start work on the home in November or so.

Currently, we don't have any children but hopefully that will change in the next year or so.

We like to cook. He does a lot of prep work and I orchestrate. So, generally, there are two of us in the kitchen.

I would expect little ones being in there in the future as well.

I would like to have seating at an island. I would also like to have a small table/banquette to eat everyday meals at.

We like to entertain and hope to do even more once we move from our current condo to the new (to us) and improved house. To facilitate that, we plan on removing the walls between the kitchen and family room.

We are not formal; but I like to have sit down dinner parties and break out the china occasionally. We plan to keep the dining room as is but I would like to add a built-in china cabinet that can double as a buffet.

If possible I would like to add a butler's pantry. I don't know that there is really enough space to do it though.

I would also love to have a walk-in pantry. If the space/layout doesn't permit that, I'm hoping for a closet pantry at least. I'm definitely an 'out of sight, out of mind' person, so being able to see everything at once would be great.

I would like to be able to see the TV while prepping.

I do some baking. Did more in the past, would like to do more in the future.

Still looking at appliances, we will need to replace most of them.

We plan to keep the DW that is there (Miele Advanta G2020 SCU).

I am coveting the Captial Culinarian. If we go that route, I would like a 36'' range with 6 burners/oven with rotisserie.

We like the look of the built-in hoods.

I would also like a stainless shelf above the range similar to Segbrown's.

I would like to have a single 30'' electric wall oven if space allows.

I'm looking at various 36'' and 48'' CD refrigerator/freezers. Would like to have a separate beverage frig in a beverage area. Been perplexed how to make this work to best advantage.

He drinks coffee and I drink tea. A spot to have those things would be great.

We would like a 33'' or 36'' apronfront double bowl sink.

I would like a prep sink also.

I'm planning on placing the MO over the counter.

We want this to be our forever home and so we want to do things right the first time. Having said that we are open to moving windows, doorways, and walls.

We would like a functional yet comfortable space. I don't know how to put it into words exactly.

Of all the great kitchens posted here, I keep going back to Segbrown, Elizpiz, Chinese Grandma and RHome410's kitchens in particular. To me, their kitchens are beautiful while being functional/efficient while being comfortable/interesting while being simple.

Again, sorry for the long intro and TIA for any suggestions!

Rexroat

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen layout images

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!