SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ldematte

Help with kitchen layout, please...

prepmom
10 years ago

Good morning!

My husband & I are building a spec home in a southern NJ shore community. We've done this before using what many buyers in the area call a 'cookie cutter' layout. So, we're attempting to change the kitchen up a bit. This is where I could really use your help!! The standard 'cookie cutter' layout has this kitchen with a peninsula - we're trying to add an island as this is a desirable feature in the area where we're selling. Keep in mind that MOST of the potential buyers will only use the house as a summer home, and therefore not do a lot of cooking, so the most important thing is that it looks amazing.

The current layout shows a center island (7' x 2.5')- with the area for seating being open below so that stools can be pushed under when not in use. The entire kitchen is only 13' wide. Length-wise we do have room to grow a bit beyond the current layout as the kitchen opens to a very large dining room/living room. The overall plans for the home have already been submitted to the town & approved, so I am unable to change any of the dimensions beyond what you see.

As much as I love the idea of being able to add an island, I fear that as currently layed out it's a little too tight. What do you think? Can you help me make this work?

I apologize for the poor quality of the drawing and greatly appreciate any help from the GW community. You guys are amazing & I could really use your assistance. Besides the location, we all know the kitchen makes the house!

Thanks so much!!

Comments (3)