SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laila619

Kitchen layout disaster--need help!

laila619
11 years ago

Hi!

I'm new here but love the forums. Unfortunately, I found this forum after my new kitchen cabinets were already installed. :( The layout is an absolute nightmare. My husband and I really wanted to fit in a breakfast penninsula in the kitchen (the previous layout did not have one), and the contractor told us it would be no problem, that it would fit. In order to allow for countertop overhang and eating space at the penninsula, we had to end the cabinets earlier than where they used to end, because otherwise people sitting at stools would basically be in the entrance to the kitchen.

Well, the problem is, the contractor was MAJORLY wrong. Now that the breakfast penninsula is in, it cuts the kitchen in half and makes everything cramped. There is only about 32 inches of space between the penninsula and the kitchen sink, with the stove in the middle of that. Only one person can be at the stove or standing in the work space.

The worst part is that if people are sitting at the penninsula at bar stools, they will literally be sitting in the main walkway entrance into the kitchen, even though the contractor *assured* us this would not happen. And that's with just a tiny 8 inch overhang, which is not comfortable or recommended. I read that you need at least 12 inches of overhang *minimum* for a 36 inch countertop height.

The granite countertops are not installed yet, so we can still rip out some cabinets and change things up. What would you suggest? I'm so depressed about this. Thanks for your help! I will try to attach layout pictures...

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!