SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa218_gw

World's Ugliest Kitchen. Help.

Lisa218
12 years ago

Hi everyone, I've been lurking on the forums for a while now, 4 months to be exact. We have an offer on a short sale, and short sales are anything but short. We have been waiting for 4 months, and while we are closer to the bank accepting our offer, we aren't quite there yet. The only thing holding me back from complete insanity is the researching and planning of what I will do with the house when it's finally ours. It's a total 70's fixer-upper, and the kitchen is the worst part. It's got nice dark cabinets, which I like and I will keep as is..I think I'll just change out the hardware. The appliances are also original to when the house was built, but they were higher end for their time. There is CARPETING on the floor, and canary yellow laminate countertops. I am going to need to redo this kitchen on a tiny budget, as most of our money needs to be saved for way more important things like the roof, septic and any other more serious issues the inspector may find. That being said, the one thing I absolutely need to change right away are of course, the counters. New laminate countertops are not even in the budget. So I was thinking either painting them (rustoleum countertop paint), tiling them, or covering them with laminate sheets. Then I need to do something with the back splash (the laminate goes all the way up the wall as the backsplash). I can tile, so I think I am going to do the floors, and possibly the backsplash depending on what I can do with the counters. I though you wonderful people on here would be able to give me some encouragement, some ideas, some advice. Colors to paint the walls? Flooring? And mostly importantly, the counters. I just want to be able to walk in and not want to throw up! Keep in mind, the redo does not need to last forever, just a little while until we can afford a total redo, maybe year or two. And it'ts only my husband and I. No kids (yet!)

Sorry for the terrible pic!

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!