SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reno_fan

Company's coming-Need to spruce the ugliest room in my house!

reno_fan
15 years ago

While basically doing a whole-house facelift when we moved into this place over a year ago, I ran out of steam when it came to my son's bathroom. I managed to start texturing the walls, but lost any motivation at all. It's been the *ugliest* room in our house, and yet it's one of the main bathrooms that guests have to use. I've apologized it away ("Please excuse the mess....we're remodeling!") long enough.

Now we have company coming to stay later this month, and it's time I at least temporarily finish this bathroom. Eventually I'll do a total makeover including a new shower and vanity, and new faucets, etc., but for now I just need to fix it up a little.

This bathroom is directly off my kitchen and den, and so I'd like for it to "flow".

Here is the den:

The bathroom is down the small hallway to left of the picture:

Here's a shot of the beauty:

{{!gwi}}

Note the gorgeous brass shower enclosure? Lovely. How about the hideous white tile? Nice. At least the wallpaper they had in here was pretty. A glimpse of it can be seen in this shot. Niiiiiice.

{{!gwi}}

Okay, enough bashing. Now here are my thoughts:

The bathroom has terra cotta tiles, the same as in my den and kitchen, that I'm keeping. I have a ton of the bosporous toile fabric I originally bought to make an upholstered headboard, but I really don't like it for my bedroom. The colors and style definitely work for the feel of the room, so I'm thinking maybe I could make a shower curtain out of it to hide the ugly shower.

I love black painted vanities, and originally was going to paint all of the woodwork distressed black and add crystal knobs, but I just don't think that will work here. I do like this photo, though, where they've done an insert of toile:

I'm thinking instead of painting the woodwork a distressed black, maybe I could do a distressed green like this:

I could still do crystal knobs, but then the green from the cabinets and the terra cotta floors would work with the shower curtain.

What do you think?

Comments (30)